🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

WoA V - Afterparty/Judging thread

Started by
116 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 10 months ago

did anyone have performance problems with our game?

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, racsoth said:

I'm having trouble testing some games made in Unreal, such as Domino Castle. The game works for some minutes and then I'm getting the error I attach.

I found this thread with some workarounds: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/545292/unreal-engine-is-exiting-due-to-d3d-device-being-l-3.html

I've tried the first with no success. Some people say that unchecking "Real-Time Thumbnails" in UE made the engine more stable...

UnrealError.png

Sorry, I just noticed the post, were you able to run the game, or you still have the problem?

Advertisement

@Endurion I saw that you had performance problems on the game, I may soon upload a more optimized version for those who want to try the game, also If I may ask, what were the specifications on your system? also thanks for the feed back, really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, ArThor said:

@slicer4ever

Can I post a link to a version of my game with potential fixes for the bugs Thaumaturge and Endurion have found? Obviously it cant be counted for the competition but if anyone is willing to give feedback it would stand a better chance of working.

The best place for that would be to edit the description of your game to point to the updated version.  at the moment i can't change entry's without affecting the judging.  but maybe in a few weeks i'd be open to allowing submission changes with updated and bug fixed versions. 

On the site i've done a couple reviews already, planning to do a few more tonight.  I've also fixed the formatting issue with new lines to insert <br/>'s, and i've fixed a bug with some mobile browers which called resize's and might have made scrolling a pita.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I've uploaded a WebGL version of my game to Itch. It's NOT the same version I submited to the jam, as it now has some improvements and modifications, but it's still quite similar. If someone who doesn't have Windows wants to give it a try there, please go ahead. As always, feedback is more than welcome.

https://racso.itch.io/castilla-1528

16 minutes ago, slicer4ever said:

The best place for that would be to edit the description of your game to point to the updated version.  at the moment i can't change entry's without affecting the judging.  but maybe in a few weeks i'd be open to allowing submission changes with updated and bug fixed versions. 

On the site i've done a couple reviews already, planning to do a few more tonight.  I've also fixed the formatting issue with new lines to insert <br/>'s, and i've fixed a bug with some mobile browers which called resize's and might have made scrolling a pita.

I'll post a link in the details, affecting judging is exactly what I DON'T want to do!

@slicer4ever I see a couple of reviews of my game by @Thaumaturge and @racsoth have been truncated. Is it possible to recover those?

16 minutes ago, dmatter said:

@slicer4ever I see a couple of reviews of my game by @Thaumaturge and @racsoth have been truncated. Is it possible to recover those?

unfortunately no :(.  They would have to reappend whatever is missing.  I should have done some more checks initially to detect if your review would get truncated, but after seeing that happen i also realized that my character limit was exceedingly low for reviews, so i upped it substancially, and added a message to tell you if your review would get truncated so it can be adjusted.  I'm hopeful they can remember what they wrote and fill in the blanks.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I've finally written my post-mortem. It's the first time I do one :)

https://racso.itch.io/castilla-1528/devlog/7605/jam-post-mortem

@dmatter In short, I was saying that the fact that some containers were hidden behind other in the The End scenario seemed to me like a nice easter egg (and was perfect for that ending screen!), but should not be used as part of the main flow of the game (i.e. in other levels) because it could be confusing and mess with the player dynamics (as now the player would need to test every possibility for possible hidden containers).

3 hours ago, slicer4ever said:

I'm hopeful they can remember what they wrote and fill in the blanks.

Alas, I don't recall what more I had to there--sorry, @dmatter. :/

I've just been alerted to an issue in my game: it seems that, on some machines, the terrain and player-hand will be pitch black (and thus all but invisible). It looks like this is due to an oversight on my part related to how the engine handles vertex colours--or, more accurately, the lack thereof. It seems that, under Panda1.9 (which I've been using), a lack of vertex colours leaves the relevant Panda-provided vertex-colour shader input undefined, but usually black. On both of the machines on which I tested the game, however, it seems that it comes out as white, thus showing no apparent problem. My apologies for this! :/

(It does look as though upgrading to Panda3D 1.10 would likely fix the problem, as the manual indicates that under that version the shader input is instead defined as white in the absence of vertex colours, I believe.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

10 hours ago, IYP said:

@Endurion I saw that you had performance problems on the game, I may soon upload a more optimized version for those who want to try the game, also If I may ask, what were the specifications on your system? also thanks for the feed back, really appreciate it.

That would be neat. I've got an old AMD Radeon, don't even know the details (currently not on the PC). It basically goes in sluggish mode as soon as there's a lot of full screen post processing.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement