🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

WoA V - Afterparty/Judging thread

Started by
116 comments, last by racsoth 6 years, 10 months ago
9 minutes ago, dmatter said:

Good writeup!

I'm intrigued by the sound of part2. Are you saying that all your game's state is functionally transformed?.. It's just maps and folds to arrive at the next frames state and not directly mutated?

Mine might run for you as long as you have Java8:

java -jar Game.jar

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. Capture game input into streams, map-fold everything with pure functions and then render to screen.

I'll download your game and give it a try this afternoon. I'll get back to you :)

Advertisement
15 hours ago, racsoth said:

I'm having trouble testing some games made in Unreal, such as Domino Castle. The game works for some minutes and then I'm getting the error I attach.

I found this thread with some workarounds: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/545292/unreal-engine-is-exiting-due-to-d3d-device-being-l-3.html

I've tried the first with no success. Some people say that unchecking "Real-Time Thumbnails" in UE made the engine more stable...

UnrealError.png

This has actually been a semi-known problem for some people with Unreal for a while, although I've never actually seen it firsthand. It only pops up on some machines, and the symptom is a pretty generic low-level error which made it harder for Epic to pin down. The bad news is that thee "Real-Time Thumbnails" and most other workarounds only help with the editor, not already-packaged games, and apparently none of the workarounds work for everyone.

The good news is that most people report that it doesn't happen in Unreal 4.17, and, if you didn't run into this problem with my game, I think it's safe to say that that was the difference. I bet if Newtopia is able to re-build with 4.17 it'll run properly for you.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get to reviewing all of the other games some time this week. I'm also polishing up my game a bit. I'm sure I'll get more feedback regarding what's actually wrong with it, but I've already fixed a few things other people have caught, and there's a bunch of cosmetic issues that have been driving me crazy. Mainly some of the geometry that's conspicuously unfinished/un-detailed, particularly when seen in comparison to the more-polished stuff I made earlier in the process. 

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
8 hours ago, Avalander said:

I've also downloaded a few submissions, but since I don't have Windows, I couldn't play any of them :(

Depending on what operating system you do use, you might be able to emulate some of them--at least a few worked with WINE (via PlayOnLinux) under Ubuntu Linux in my case, as I recall. You may find that not all games will work this way, but you might get to play at least some of them!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Just info for all: The game Assassinator from Ludologists works fine if you use the alternative link (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1tlADeMhjwaZnFRZU5pYU42d0E )   The file in the archive is broken and will auto-close!

@DogAndRocket: I get an exception on startup, is my card too old?

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: System.Exception: Bad Framebuffer
   bei Framework.Rendering.AAFBO.Init(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 samples)
   bei WOA_V.RenderPaths.GameRenderPath.InitMultiSampling(Int32 width, Int32 height)
   bei WOA_V.RenderPaths.GameRenderPath.Init(String pathToShaderFolder, Int32 width, Int32 height, Options options, Resources res)
   bei WOA_V.States.GameState.Init()
   bei WOA_V.States.GameState.UpdateLogic(Single secondsIn)
   bei Framework.Application.ApplicationLogic(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   bei WOA_V.WOA_V.ApplicationLogic(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   bei System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.OnRenderFrame(FrameEventArgs e)
   bei Framework.OpenGL4Window.OnRenderFrame(FrameEventArgs e)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchUpdateAndRenderFrame(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   bei Framework.Application.Run()
   bei WOA_V.Program.Main(String[] args)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

10 hours ago, ryan20fun said:
Thanks @racsoth for the review.
Could you offer suggestions on what you would like or would have done differently?

Did you do the tutorial?
I will make a note for when I do a tutorial again to mention enemy damage/behavior.

No problem.

You got me there: I didn't do the tutorial. I had trouble testing several Unreal games, so I needed to focus on gameplay before they crashed. I checked it out and yes: it clearly says how to enter the doors :P

In general, your game seems fine. I think it can be improved in several ways with more content, but that obviously requires more than a week of work.

In the case of the damage: I would control damage so the player isn't killed that fast, but I would compensate for that by giving more HP to the turret, so the player would need to attack it tactically.

About the themes: I don't really know how would I approach it. Maybe it's a thing of aesthetics: the environment doesn't look like a castle to me. That's possibly because it's an "alien castle", but still, it doesn't bring the word "castle" to my mind.

Regards!

14 minutes ago, Endurion said:

Just info for all: The game Assassinator from Ludologists works fine if you use the alternative link

Ah, that's likely why it crashed for me. I'll hopefully download it later, and perhaps give it another try!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

16 minutes ago, Endurion said:

Just info for all: The game Assassinator from Ludologists works fine if you use the alternative link (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1tlADeMhjwaZnFRZU5pYU42d0E )   The file in the archive is broken and will auto-close!

@DogAndRocket: I get an exception on startup, is my card too old?

Unbehandelte Ausnahme: System.Exception: Bad Framebuffer
   bei Framework.Rendering.AAFBO.Init(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 samples)
   bei WOA_V.RenderPaths.GameRenderPath.InitMultiSampling(Int32 width, Int32 height)
   bei WOA_V.RenderPaths.GameRenderPath.Init(String pathToShaderFolder, Int32 width, Int32 height, Options options, Resources res)
   bei WOA_V.States.GameState.Init()
   bei WOA_V.States.GameState.UpdateLogic(Single secondsIn)
   bei Framework.Application.ApplicationLogic(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   bei WOA_V.WOA_V.ApplicationLogic(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   bei System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.OnRenderFrame(FrameEventArgs e)
   bei Framework.OpenGL4Window.OnRenderFrame(FrameEventArgs e)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchUpdateAndRenderFrame(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   bei OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   bei Framework.Application.Run()
   bei WOA_V.Program.Main(String[] args)

I'm not sure, I wouldn't say your card is too old for sure, but I have checked and I have accidentally left multi-sampling hard coded to 8 samples (because I'm an idiot), which may be too much for your card or it could be something else. You could try forcing AA off in your GPU settings but I don't know if that would stop the crash.

I've had too many silly mistakes in this competition, this is easily fixable if it wasn't too late :(

@slicer4ever

Can I post a link to a version of my game with potential fixes for the bugs Thaumaturge and Endurion have found? Obviously it cant be counted for the competition but if anyone is willing to give feedback it would stand a better chance of working.

14 hours ago, ryan20fun said:
Thanks @racsoth for the review.
Could you offer suggestions on what you would like or would have done differently?

Did you do the tutorial?
I will make a note for when I do a tutorial again to mention enemy damage/behavior.

@IYP Do you have some tips on how to rotate, push and then jump to the next domino?
I keep falling short

On easy mode, always aim for the top center of the domino unless it's too close. Also for the change in difficulty you should restart the game for the changes to take action, on normal you should just position yourself properly on the current domino to get to next, meaning if you are too far from the other domino, walk a little on the current domino, then jump, if you are too close, jump early till you are in mid, on turns try to choose a line between the two dominoes that is almost the length of the default straight line dominoes, this way you'll probably land well, the thing is that the jump helper, helps on little difference of length on jump, but if the difference is too much it's not gonna help, so you cant jump too far, or too close.

For the turn and push, you should land on center, turn the domino, then walk till in proper position to jump, then push and jump,. though all of this should happen under like a 0.1 of second xD.

I myself play like this though I believe if you play some more, you'll find some decent methods of yourself XD. thanks for playing xD

Final thoughts on my entry. I hope that I'm not pointing out the flaws that I see in it too early.

Also, I realized that I forgot to include license information with my submission zip file. The music credit is on the splash as I understand was required by the artist but libraries, fonts, tools used and stuff aren't anywhere. I do have that information with my source code though. Do I need to be concerned about getting it in some way at this point?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement