🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to do croud sounds

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 6 months ago

So, me again with the stick figure indie total war like project. To give context, it's a real time strategy game where you control up to thousands of stick figure soldiers, and they fight. My first implementation of sounds was to simply assign sounds to different actions in the game. A soldier attacks, makes attack sound. A soldier walks, makes walk sound.

Problem is, with thousands of soldiers, it's like a brain hammering simulation. When a thousand shoot their gun, imagine the sound of a gun, multiplied 1000. it gets loud and buggy. And it sounds wrong because 1000 people walking doesn't sound like 1 times 1000.

So my question is, how do you implement croud sounds? How do you mix 1000 flat sounds in a 3d space to make it sound good? Does that exist, or should I just use pre-recorded crowd sounds?

Advertisement

Locked. See https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/705082-how-to-do-croud-sounds/5418448/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement