🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Caliban boss theme(?)(WIP)

Started by
7 comments, last by AndrewJL 4 years, 11 months ago

This should be a battle theme for a lovecraftian space monster called Caliban.

Looking for critique:

-I have some doubts about the percussions,  do you know where to  find better samples for LMMS?

-I'd like it to sound a bit more futuristic/sci-fi, but without impairing that classical feel created by the organ

-I was thinking about expanding the part that goes from 0:33 to 0:45, I feel like it's too short.

-I don't know how to finish this composition. I was thinking about a finale that shifts from a very dark and menacing melody to some heroic leitmotiv, and then close the loop with the part at 0:19, but it always ends up being too similar to the preceding parts, should I change key?

Any additional advice is welcome!

Advertisement

Hey, this is very cool! I really like the dark, spacey atmosphere. It does seem to lose some steam as it goes on however. Like the menacing tone seems to change to something much more upbeat around 0:32 or so and then especially at 0:55. I think the middle section(s) could use some more direction and building.

I do think it sounds quite sci-fi already, but maybe layering in a synthy choir at some point as the piece builds would really help establish that sci-fi/gothic sound.

As for samples, I'm not sure what you're using already (though I really like the organ sample) but you can find a lot of good freebies by getting Kontakt Player, the free version of SampleTank, and the Spitfire LABS. There's quite a bit to choose from with those. And I also like a lot of the sounds from DSK especially for synth stuff.

For how to finish, I think the recapitulation idea is a good one and pretty classic. You want to make it familiar yet different (and usually I aim for more intense/epic as well at least for boss music). I think playing with the motifs you established at the beginning works very well. Take them in different directions than you did the first time. And the key change could help too though it isn't strictly necessary I wouldn't think.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I think it has a very cool sound so far!

On 6/28/2019 at 5:44 PM, AndrewJL said:

Hey, this is very cool! I really like the dark, spacey atmosphere. It does seem to lose some steam as it goes on however. Like the menacing tone seems to change to something much more upbeat around 0:32 or so and then especially at 0:55. I think the middle section(s) could use some more direction and building.

Thank you for your reply!

I never seriously studied composition, and now that I ran out of inspiration I don't really know how to achieve again the dark atmosphere of the first part of the track. Are there any composition rules/tips which could help me in this case?

Although I was aiming to a dark and daunting feel, I grew fond of those upbeat parts you quoted; should I really remove/change them or should I just add downbeat/menacing parts between them?

Well about additional advice, remember the composition is in the context of composing elements or modular parts into a melody.
So I think if you make some linear progression to the start of the song, you should be fine.

It is very relaxing to listen to the track, mate.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:47 PM, Afelium said:

Thank you for your reply!

I never seriously studied composition, and now that I ran out of inspiration I don't really know how to achieve again the dark atmosphere of the first part of the track. Are there any composition rules/tips which could help me in this case?

Although I was aiming to a dark and daunting feel, I grew fond of those upbeat parts you quoted; should I really remove/change them or should I just add downbeat/menacing parts between them?

Hey, you're welcome!

I'm not sure about specific composition rules, but I find using minor and dim7 chords helps to establish a dark, dissonant sound. Ultimately, I'd recommend experimenting on your keyboard until you find something that sounds good, writing it down, and then experimenting again.

I don't think you need to remove the upbeat parts, but I would recommend adding more of a building tension. And perhaps a faster rhythm would help as well. It sounds a bit too chill for a boss theme.

Hope that helps!

Sorry if I haven't applied your advice yet, but I swear I'll do it in the next post!:D

While I was waiting for the first reply I started working on the subsequent part of the track, and this is the result

it isn't very polished yet, and maybe some transitions are still too abrupt, but I still wanted to hear what you guys think about it

16 hours ago, AndrewJL said:

And perhaps a faster rhythm would help as well. It sounds a bit too chill for a boss theme.

I tried increasing the bpms, but I think that  the melody becomes less epic and more foolish; it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure it was what i was aiming for.

16 hours ago, AndrewJL said:

I don't think you need to remove the upbeat parts, but I would recommend adding more of a building tension.

How does one build tension?

Is there any rule or method to do it? 

Do you know any good examples I could learn from?

Interesting song! For a boss fight, I was going into this song with an expectation of a certain energy or drive to your song. And this is a bit more chilled and slow(er) tempo than I expected. Not saying that's bad - it could work depending on the gameplay and such! 

There could be a lot more tension in your piece though, so I would study ways to create tension. This often comes from making your arrangement rise from low(er) to high(er) combined with dissonance and production techniques. 

Google some of your favorite boss fights and then study how the songs are constructed and produced. See what approaches you can adopt to your own music. Hope that helps!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

On 7/3/2019 at 7:05 AM, Afelium said:

Sorry if I haven't applied your advice yet, but I swear I'll do it in the next post!:D

While I was waiting for the first reply I started working on the subsequent part of the track, and this is the result

Haha no worries! Don't let me put too much pressure on you. I think it's still not sounding too scary or "Lovecraftian." I think part of that is the drum beat (which sounds kind of like pop music to my ears) and part is the melody (which sounds carefree and chill). I'm not the best composition teacher lol, but I will second Nathan's advice of studying boss music that has the effect you're trying to create. You might be able to find sheet music for some or try to transcribe it yourself. It's probably the best way of learning to write in any given style.

I tried increasing the bpms, but I think that  the melody becomes less epic and more foolish; it isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure it was what i was aiming for.

I don't necessarily mean a faster bpm (although that could help). But the rhythm could be faster to give the piece a more frenzied tone. For instance, if your melody is mostly quarter and eighth notes, a rhythm made up of sixteenth or thirty-second notes could do the trick.

How does one build tension?

Is there any rule or method to do it? 

Do you know any good examples I could learn from?

I'd look at any boss themes that you have found particularly effective. Some of my favourites are the classic final boss theme from Mario 64 which isn't terribly fast but maintains a dark, gothic tension throughout:

And really any of the Dark Souls boss themes, but this is one of my favourites, from one of the most iconic moments in the first game:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement