🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A link to my 2d pixel art tutorial...

Started by
32 comments, last by Tsugumo 22 years, 10 months ago
Uh, oh, of course if I don't type a link ... I changed the link to my pic.

As for MUGEN, the link works, or at least it's the proper adress. Once you have got the software, get the softwares called Mugen Windows Configurator (MUch much easier than command line parameters ! but the site seems to be down, look for mirrorsites) and Mugen Character Maker (to look at ALL the sprites, or make your own characters, etc).
To find stuff, you'll have to look for yourself, I swear, there is jsut too much to be found. Do a search with "mugen" (of course), and things like "character pack", or the name of your favorite fighters ("KOF", "samurai shodown", "dragonball", etc)

Ah, here is a good one in english (there are tons in japanese, spanish, brasilian, etc), and another one that looks nice too...

Sometimes you can find full games, that is, a pack with all the characters, stages, musics, etc of a particular game (dragonball for instance). Just be patient, you'll find what you want

youpla :-P

ps : why not post pics of your efforts based on tsugumo's tutorials ? I promise I will as soon as I get my scanner back (or maybe I'll jsut do a little one without drawing it... mmmh)
KAWAI ! :p

Edited by - ahw on August 5, 2001 5:50:17 PM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
Hello...

Is the URL to the 2D art tutorials okay? I''ve tried to access them a couple of times, since I''m very, very interested in them, but I haven''t been able to reach them. Could any of you help?

Thanks in advance...

Keops-kun
The link doesn''t work! damn. I wanted to read those damn tutorials.

- Goblineye Entertainment
Just wanted to say I can''t acess the site either. Up in Utah with out access to my compilers at home and am just try to absorb as much knowledge as I can before I go home to practice it =)

I must say that that tutorial is excellent!!! Especially the fighter sprite part. I can draw very well so that''s good. You really are good at making sprites do you work for a game company?
tsugumo... i once agian i thought your tutorial was great. the sprite section helped me out alot... check out the sprite animation!

[http://www.neonstar.net/st0ven/animation.htm]

Edited by - st0ven on August 8, 2001 11:18:43 PM
Here''s a question about pixel art and I hope Tsugumo doesnt mind me asking this in his topic. I was looking at the sprites ahw made and I got to thinking about the chars and animations I wanted for my sprites. Say the sprites themselves are 16 pixels wide. But I want to add a sword to that, and maybe even have him swing it. This would make the bmp wider then 16 pixels. So what do I do? Change all my sprites sizes to add weapons or make different bmps for the weapons and line them up with the sprite character? Tsugumo if you don''t approve of my asking these questions in here just tell me and I''ll stop.
I think it depends the kind of game.
If you look at a fighting game, the sprites have tons of different sizes, with collision boxes that change size too, etc. So no problem there.
Then you get the tile based game. AFAIK you stick to 16x16. I drew my little guy NOT using any size-limit. But if I really tried, it could have had a sword and still stick to the 16x16 limit.
Though I don''t believe this is the way they do it with most modern RPG, where you can clearly see that the sword is some sprite that "sticks" to the character sprite...

hope it helps !

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Sorry for the dead link for a few days...it should be working now though, heh.

Angels Eternity: I don''t work for any company yet...I''ve just finished college and after I slack off for another month (I mean work on the tutorial, heh) I''m going to try applying and see if I can get in doing some Game Boy Advance games. Right now I''m just a jobless bum, though.

st0ven: Sweet animation...I like the sketches of the guy doing the spinning kick a lot. They flow really nice, heh...

TechnoHydra: Any discussion is good discussion. For a Zelda style game where you''re running around with a set limit on the box, you''d have to either shrink the sprites so everything can fit in the box, or attatch extra sprites. Shrinking sprites generally sucks because 16x16 is small enough already, and if you have to make your character a little 8x8 blob to fit a sword, it''ll look pretty bad. This is where you''d have to ask the programmer how he wants to do it (or if you ARE the programmer, figure out the way you want to go). You could just use bigger sprites for when the sword is being swung, and just offset the sprite in the code so it lines up right...but generally you''d probably have to use a second sprite box.

So doing the animation for a slash below you (thinking Zelda here), you''d make a 16x32 box and draw the animation in that, and afterwards go through and divide it up into 2 16x16 boxes (each would have X amount of animation frames to it). When the game is being displayed, the engine would have to place the box below the player and flip through the animation frames for each. As long as the engine isn''t ridiculously slow it should look just fine. If you''ve got a limit on how many frames of animation you can use, you could even cheat a bit and have the character reach forwards to the edge of his 16x16 box, and then just have the other box animate with the sword slashing, so only the sword frames need animating instead of the entire body. I think that''s what Zelda did (though it''s been a while since I''ve played it).

For drawing purposes though, you''d just want to make your sprites in the 16x32 box and worry about dividing it up later. Just make sure you don''t have him taking 33 pixels or something, because then that''s a THIRD box you have to attatch, and it''ll slow the engine down.

Oh wait, another thing you can do if you''re stuck with a size limit and don''t want to line sprites up, is to just shift the player around. Say you have a guy who has his sword put away and his stance is really wide (takes up the whole sprite). Then he slashes...you could have his back up against the back of the box and the sword out touching the front of the box so that he gets a whole slash in, and in the game, offset it so the foot lines up right. The problem with this is that you have to squish your character''s movements to fit in the box. Like you can''t have him slash forwards while lunging forwards so his back leg is straight, and have his arm sticking out, because his arm and leg PLUS the length of the sword would make things too long. But, if you can''t get around the limits any other way, this can sometimes be pulled off to look pretty good.

Basically a sprite artist would want to be able to use any box size they need so they can do the animation easily...Programmers would want to stick with a uniform sprite size so they engine is easier to write, heh...Code tends to be less flexible than art though, so if you can work around what the programmer needs, that''s generally better. Someone''s got to give in.

- Tsugumo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement