🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are the nehe tutorials outdated now?

Started by
12 comments, last by Kazade 16 years ago
Ive read a topic or two which says that "glaux" is an old and obsolete library, i only came across this because i was trying to compile the first nehe lesson and it gave errors (Visual c++ 2008), complaining about "Cannot open include file: 'gl\glaux.h': No such file or directory" (but its listed in the references section which was different to the tutorial due to it been 2008) If the tutorials are still usable (in date) then i don't mind continuing, but i wouldn't want to learn old programming styles and old libraries. Also could some one suggest what i should do about the compile error (sorry been a bit noobish and should use google, but figured I would ask if the library was usable first, solution to fix it, is a bonus :P) Any help appreciated, thanks.
Advertisement
in my signature there is a small hot fix for the problem, glAux is really only used for bmp loading, but tga is better, just download the beta in the sticky on the main nehe thread and use the tga loader in lesson 5.
They are quite outdated. See this recent thread for a discussion.
Yeah they are outdated, but I would say if you dont tend to use his programming style the information on OpenGL and the techniques used is still pretty valuable.

We (Kazade and I) are currently writing new lessons, unfortunately we dont have much spare time for that, but as soon as they're released (using object oriented C++ and more up to date OpenGL) we'll let you know!

Buying a book on a topic you're interested in is always a good idea, guess I have about 5 books on OpenGL.. I prefer reading things without a computer..

Cheers
Carsten
Hey, yeh, sorry about the continued delay with the new tutorials. Caste and I are so busy right now, finding time is difficult. Caste has been accepted to do the Google Summer of Code (hope you dont mind me sharing the news mate [wink] ), and I'm working overtime and have a long commute. I'm ordering myself a laptop this weekend so finally I can put that commuting time to good use.

My first priority is finishing tutorial 1, I promise [smile]
Member of the NeHe team.
My bad that i didnt check the OpenGL forum, but i thought this would be the place to look. Skimming thru ive only really picked up that every one says learn from a book. As it is only an interest currently i would try to avoid for now, just encase i decide not to continue (I bought 2 books a while back, both them GD books that are advertised every where on this site, but one covers allegro *and only covers 2d sprites etc*. The other turned out to be just a standard c++ book which teaches the basics... so wasted money really).

I find a few sites which look like they have quite a bit of content (obviously i would want to stick to a certain style, when learning so that i can understand each steps made in the tutorials and expand), but same problem as the original one, im not sure if they are outdated or not (one of them doesnt include published dates, but covers glaux also)
But one that seems in-date (news on main page is oct-06) is http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/, but not yet started on looking thru the tutorials yet (think its just source tho, only has downloads for it)
Well if you know C++ pretty good, then you can indeed stick to the NeHe tutorials. Pick out the information on OpenGL, that should give you a good start.
If Kazade and I try hard, then the first three lessons might be done next week, so you'll see the most important change: using VertexArrays instead of simple triangles or quads (called Immediate Mode). The problem with all the other tutorial pages I know outside is, they use immediate mode, too.

But as knowing what it is doesn't harm, I'd say you start with the NeHe Lessons, then read our new ones as soon as they're out. We need to think about our release cycle, if we say we publish code even if the lessons arent completely done, then you might get new tutorials on texturing pretty soon. All the other OpenGL related info stayed pretty much the same. The topics for really speeding up your rendering or Shaders will be topics in later lessons anyways, but if you need these you should have a basic knowledge of what goes on there.
I'm glad to let you know we already finished lesson 1 and 2 texts, we need to create the downloads for linux and windows, write lesson 3, do some polishing on the site and then we'll go public with the new tutorials.

So stay tuned, I'm pretty sure we'll release next week..

Thx for giving us a reason to finish it up [wink]
Status update:

- Lessons done, need proof reading
- Windows binarys and downloads still missing
- Website needs to be updated

After thats done, you guys will have some new lessons to deal with [smile]
Quote: Original post by Caste
Status update:

- Lessons done, need proof reading
- Windows binarys and downloads still missing
- Website needs to be updated

After thats done, you guys will have some new lessons to deal with [smile]

thanks :) will be doing some intensive leaning over the summer break, exam frenzy currently :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement