🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are the nehe tutorials outdated now?

Started by
12 comments, last by Kazade 16 years, 1 month ago
And what about the book 'Beginning OpenGL Game Programming' by Dave Astle? Is it any good or is that one outdated too? I will surely check the new tutorials! Thanks.
Advertisement
It will be rewritten as soon as OpenGL 3.0 is out by Kazade. So never mind, the tutorials wont differ too much from the next version of the book. The last version does use the same techniques as the lessons so use what ever you prefer.

Cheers
Carsten
Ok, I already bought the book 2 days ago ^^. I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference, cause I'm a newbie at graphics programming (had a course Computer Graphics last year at college though). Thanks for the tutorials, I guess I will follow them together with this book, after I'm done with my exams :D
It is still a good buy. The OpenGL 3 specification isn't going to be released until AT LEAST August. By the time the implementations arrive and also after the 6 month schedule it will take for me to write the second edition, you are looking at mid to late 2009 before the next edition is published.

Still, keep an eye on the tutorials here at NeHe. We are intentionally missing stuff that will not be in OpenGL 3 (immediate mode, the accumulation buffer, picking etc.) so you wont learn anything you don't need.
Member of the NeHe team.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement