🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Castlevania Style

Started by
3 comments, last by nsmadsen 2 years, 8 months ago

My attempt from a little while ago at composing a piece stylistically similar to the 90s Castlevania soundtracks.

Advertisement

Really nice work here! Right from the start I could catch the vibe you were after. Nicely done! I think for what you targeted, you hit the vibe perfectly! The only thing I'd say is that the classic 90's sound, while certainly fun and nostalgic, the mix of those older games is a bit static. And I feel like the same could be said for your track. The composition is great, wonderful guitar playing and you certainly dialed in the vibe perfectly! I only say what that it could be some clients may want/need music that hits a bit harder than this.

The nice thing is some with re-balancing and side-chaining this could be easily fixed.

Overall, so much fun - you're highly talented! BTW that motif that happens in the strings right around 2:42 (and in other, earlier spots) is almost note for note borrowed from Castlevania SOTN. You might want to tweak that just a bit to make it a bit more unique and different.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

nsmadsen said:

Really nice work here! Right from the start I could catch the vibe you were after. Nicely done! I think for what you targeted, you hit the vibe perfectly! The only thing I'd say is that the classic 90's sound, while certainly fun and nostalgic, the mix of those older games is a bit static. And I feel like the same could be said for your track. The composition is great, wonderful guitar playing and you certainly dialed in the vibe perfectly! I only say what that it could be some clients may want/need music that hits a bit harder than this.

The nice thing is some with re-balancing and side-chaining this could be easily fixed.

Overall, so much fun - you're highly talented! BTW that motif that happens in the strings right around 2:42 (and in other, earlier spots) is almost note for note borrowed from Castlevania SOTN. You might want to tweak that just a bit to make it a bit more unique and different.

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I guess it really does sound like Dracula's Castle around that part lol

I have these soundtracks branded into my mind and fingers.

ChrisSchmidt said:

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I guess it really does sound like Dracula's Castle around that part lol

I have these soundtracks branded into my mind and fingers.

Me too man! I love these games, especially SOTN. I've played it so many times.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement