🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Recording an animation as a video

Started by
3 comments, last by scott8 2 years, 11 months ago

I am trying to record an animation of DirectX 11 as a video file. I am still learning about DirectX and windows API. I found https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15941/Recording-DirectX-and-OpenGL-Rendered-Animations?msg=4283609#xx4283609xx, which describes how to do it with DirectX 9, but when I try to use this code, I run into multiple dependency problems since the code utilizes dxerr9.lib which I read is not compatible with VS2017.

I would really appreciate any help or pointers on how to accomplish this task. How could one record an animation as a video. If you have a working example that I can follow, that would help immensely.

Advertisement

Hi AbdgGmu,

You can record videos of directX applications using Windows Game Bar. I've used free software like MP4Joiner to join several video files.

-Scott

Hi Scott!

Thank you for your reply. I have created different animations myself using DirectX 11, and I would like to capture them in code. That way I can record many different animations, by running through them in a loop. Instead of having to record it myself for each animation, I think that's what Windows Game Bar would require from me. I hope I am not missing something.

Game bar will record whatever is on your screen. It also has the ability to trim videos, so if you record one clip of 5 different animations, you could save it as five different movie clips.

I made a video of some animation with and without animation blending. I recorded the running animations separately with GameBar, and then joined them together with MP4joiner. The scenes that have text were a recording of a screenshot pasted into MSPaint.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement