🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best technology for a

Started by
0 comments, last by Julitor79 3 years, 1 month ago

Hello

I'm making a gta-like multiplayer game. What would be the best technology to develop it?

My three options were:

HTML5-javascript-WebGL,

Android-Java-opengl ES

PC- C# opengl .net

I decided to develop it in HTML5-javascript-WebGL because…

1. User confort: The UI of mobile phones is poor to play a so complex game. Better wih a keyboard and a mouse. Playing it in the browser would be more comfortable than having to install it on Pc.
  2. My own confort: I like the no need to compile code of javascript and my only experience in multiplayer is using node.js

But I have two doubts

1. The source code. The source code is visible in the browser. I know there are code obfuscators but it would not be a perfect solution. Can commercial games be published in javascript safely? In fact i would put a link to the game but im afraid to expose the souce code.
  2. Monetization and visibility. Steam and google play handle the monetization and visibility stuff. If I have a web page with the game I would have to do all the work myself. And the topic of managing the users money is very tricky. Could you make money on a website just from ads instead of selling licenses? It would need a lot of visitors. I have many doubts about how would be the best way to monetize a game on a website. I left my job to develop this game so the monetize part is fundamental, its not a hobby project

Can anyone advise me? thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement