🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Game Dev Here! Please give me your insights about game sound effects!

Started by
3 comments, last by Bew5fike 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm a new game dev and I want to know more about game sfx (since I barely know anything about it). Is there anything you can share as an intermediate game dev regarding your experience with game sound effects? what types of sounds are the most essential? Do you think well-crafted sample packs are worth it? Please do let me know!

I posted this before but Im new here and idk how tags work

Advertisement

This is a really broad question. I would say the genre of game you're making as well as the functionality the player has is critical for what sounds will and will not work for your game. A lot of it depends on the game you're designing.

There have been some very successful games that use mostly, if not all sample packs and such. The First Tree comes to mind.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hmmm depends on the type of game. If its more music driven like old games, you don't want too many sound effects to get in the way. When I was making my 2d project I felt the sounds weren't representing the world and the music wasn't enough, so I added some low subtle foot steps sounds and it felt so much better. I don't know much about effect packs but I am a sound designer and do enjoy designing sounds myself. (Even looking for projects too ?)

maybe tweaking sound effects to make unique to your game could work. I dont know about copyright stuff thol. As a music producer, I have played a lot with percussive samples of drums, and there are a lot of ways to make sounds that sound good in games. I've made some cool explosive and banging sounds when I was just trying to find music!

@miamaelia Clever spam link. Nice try.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement