🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is the right approach for using foot ik for characters in slopes(Specially when in walk or run)?

Started by
0 comments, last by moeen k 3 years, 3 months ago

i use unity but this question applies for any third person controller or enemy controller.

i need to use foot ik on slopes(any condition and any kind of slope) to place foot on right places. as i considered some important third person games, it seems they only use ik when character is idle and not moving otherwise no ik is applying and leg animations run purely.

i use the same approach and result looks good enough but im looking for applying when character is walking or running.

as i looked, some people disable ik when leg is going up and enable it when its coming down. some other do a raycast from foot bone to the ground to check foot need ik on little distance to ground. but all of these are prototypes and has flaws. can you give me a good approach that works best in all conditions?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement