🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can you give feedback on my game website?

Started by
33 comments, last by fleabay 2 years, 10 months ago

That you all so much for the feedback! It's going to be really helpful for improving the site, I'll probably post again in a few weeks once the site's been modified enough.

Advertisement

a light breeze said:

The site is unusable without enabling Javascript. I'm not going to enable Javascript just to view your website.

what is this, Tor? that's the only place you should care if a site uses JS…

Anyway, I think it looks fine. Maybe too much CSS animation for me. Performance wise, it takes >300 ms to load for me. But it doesn't take an eternity. so you're in good shape.

Copywright said:

a light breeze said:

The site is unusable without enabling Javascript. I'm not going to enable Javascript just to view your website.

what is this, Tor? that's the only place you should care if a site uses JS…

Actually exploits are often done through javascript, for instance XSS exploits.
It's also used very heavily on many websites to the point of wasting a lot of resources (on a laptop this can become a HW issue by heating up and even lagging the computer if it's not a brand new or top model laptop) and is a huge privacy threat in all cases, being able to send logs of your keystrokes and other information about what's going on in your browser to any outside source/target.
And these are just the cases I'm aware of, there's probably others too.

@source61 Sure, but most browsers will detect any malicious JS and prevent you from even navigating there… I know Chromium browsers like Chrome and Brave do.

plus, there's Malwarebytes WebGuard… like I said, the only place where malicious JS lives and you wont know about it, will be Tor.

This is probably more feedback than you were looking for. You may already be aware of some of these issues but I figured I would point them out.

Home

I think it looks great. If you could get mooncatgames.com I think that would help. The long domain name is a little weird.

The website actually got me interested in trying out the game, although I think if you could better communicate the genre and gameplay in the large image on the home page it may help. Although the screenshot right below that does a really good job showing gameplay so it may not be a huge issue.

The description of the game is great. It short and to the point. Thank you for not doing a story dump on that page.

Having a call to action on the home page is great.

Gameplay Overview

The gray gradient with the black text over the top doesn't look great. It isn't bad but could be better. I don't have much in terms of suggestions, just my perception of it.

FAQ

Not enough contrast between the background and the answer text

There are a few grammatical errors here

Story

I really like the story premise but the writing could use some work. I am no writer but a couple of examples that I could spot

The gates allowed instant travel between the stars. They used used the gateways to travel the stars

The word stars showing up twice like that back to back feels awkward

Also Without the gates, the Empire collapsed, and the many worlds were left to their own devices. Some worlds that were close enough formed federations and shared scientific discoveries and culture, but communication was limited to the speed of light, and travel and trade between the stars was not feasible. Other worlds went darksed is in there twice.

This feels like there is too much exposition dump. I would reconsider what information is essential in this paragraph. Elaborate on it more and remove any information that isn't needed.

Factions

The text is hard to read over the image background

Contact

There is lorem ipsum on the page. Also text color contrast

Community

More unreadable text

EDIT: Speling errors

My current game project Platform RPG

HappyCoder said:

Home

If you could get mooncatgames.com I think that would help. The long domain name is a little weird.

Unfortunately, someone is squatting on that domain name. I tried to contact them to make them an offer, but they just won't answer. What do you think of mooncatgames.ca? I already own it. If you type just that URL, it'll redirect you to mooncatgamescompany.com, the company site. Maybe I should use that as my actual domain and dump mooncatgamescompany entirely…

Regarding the Story section, thanks for pointing that out, I definitely need to rewrite that.

This is probably more feedback than you were looking for.

On the contrary, your feedback is very useful, thank you!

@totesmagotes I like the site so far. Didn't have any trouble navigating - I always knew at a glance where I was / how to get to my next destination. Because of the full-page picture on the homepage, though, I didn't know to scroll down until i visited a second time. Text looked clear to me (Firefox 86.0.1 64-bit). I am entertained by the Xalofan, who fly using hydrogen-powered farts!

None

In my humble eopinion , I like the site, I like the atmosphere and graphics art, I haven't experienced all those problems on Chrome by the way.

@totesmagotes meh man this desiner is scamer but ok you can say it good

please sent the game link please

roatikos said:
meh man this desiner is scamer

You need to use kinder language. We don't approve of insults, trash talk, and harsh language in our community. If you suspect someone of being a scammer, use the Report system. Also, please capitalize the first word of each sentence and use punctuation. This is a forum, not in-game chat.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement