🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Procedural star rendering

Started by
5 comments, last by Sword7 3 years, 9 months ago

I am working on my space simulator program myself. I now found good useful algorithm information about procedural star rendering in GLSL programming that Seed of Andromeda game and Space Engine simulator use that similar technique for. I googled and found a copy of open-source Seed of Andromeda package on GitHub has some example programs for that.

https://www.seedofandromeda.com/blogs/51-procedural-star-rendering

Does anyone have good alternative technique for procedural star rendering in GLSL programming?

Thanks,
Tim

Advertisement

@Sword7 Why the spammy looking link? ( for “flight simulator” ) It's of no use and leads to a walmart search.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

I removed a link because it automatically added link without my knowledge after I clicked post button.. Thanks for let me know that.

@sword7 why are you looking for alternatives?

what you have found is good and is in glsl.

is there anything you don't like or understand in it?

Star rendering strongly depends on viewing distance, from one point primitive per star (presumably millions of them) to relatively large and complex 3D models of close stars with surface activity. What do you need to render in your game?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

@LorenzoGatti Yes view anywhere from one point to closeup like in Gaiasky, Celestia and Space Engine. I am figuring some routines in Seed of Andromeda source codes as well as in Celestia/Gaiasky source codes. For one point stars, just render as a pixel. When getting closer to star, switching to sphere rendering when checking star size is more than one pixel.

@ddlox I was searching for more but one good article for in GLSL programming is now enough good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement