🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

iOS Game Development Framework Experiences?

Started by
2 comments, last by LysanderTheWhite 4 years, 1 month ago

Greetings everyone, I'm new to this Forum and mobile game development, but no stranger to commercial development in industry so please bear with me.

I've just started messing around with iOS game development, with the goal of writing and hopefully eventually publishing a simple-ish platform game on App Store. I'm currently just using Apple iOS's proprietary SpriteKit 2D Framework (with Xcode / Swift), and it's more or less got everything I think I need to produce something fairly decent (i.e. 2D Rendering, Physics/Collisions, AI etc) and I'm starting experience some good results with it.

However, I see that a lot of folks on here are using 3rd Party Frameworks such as Unity, which is the only one I've looked at so far, and I wanted to ask anyone who in experienced in iOS and Android game development what their views are on game development Frameworks.

• What Frameworks are you using and would recommend?
  • Is anyone here using SpriteKit to publish games?
  • Should is ditch SpriteKit?

I also have in mind that although I'm concentrating on Apple iOS for the time being, I might what do an Android version eventually, so I will have to port it over to another Framework anyway, so would a universal framework be better in the long run?

Thanks in advance, and I'd be grateful for your views on this.

Professional Mobile Game App Schemer & Dreamer

Advertisement

I would guess, if you continue with Apples language and framework your game will completely depend on it, making a port to Android near impossible without doing a complete rewrite in a different language with a different framework.

That is why I would from the start use a language and libraries, which run on both platforms.

@wintertime Thanks for replying, I guess that's what I thought myself.

I've only looked at Unity so far, and it seems like more of a game creation platform, than the kind coding libraries that I've tried so far so I'm not sure it's for me. Apple has always had it's own way of doing things, which I know annoys a lot of people, and you seem to be tied to Swift or ObjectiveC what ever library choose. For Android, as I have a Java and C++ background I was hoping to find something that might leverage those skills.

Do you have any suggestions for game libraries that might suit my purposes. A quick bit of research suggests Cocos2D or CoronaSDK might fit the bill?

Professional Mobile Game App Schemer & Dreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement