🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Am I on on the right track for audio programming?

Started by
1 comment, last by D.C.Elington 4 years, 1 month ago

Context: I'm new to engine development and audio programming so I wanted to research modern approaches to the problem. I'm not new to programming, games included.

I really liked this talk from Guy Somberg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm--AqG04Y. In particular some of his slides and talking points;

• 6:00 Walter Murch rule of two and a half
  • 12:00 audio engine interface
  • 16:16 broad list of audio programming features/tasks

I was also researching how No Mans Sky implemented sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJ_XuQjjiw&t=2422s.

• 34 mins gets into showcasing the tooling

My general goal for the game's sound is to have the player immersed in the 3D environment; rain falling down, gusts of wind from a storm, wind gently on trees, a river running fast, a motor engine humming in the distance, and all the other various interactions life forms can make while existing in space.

My other goal is PG this environment and have the player be traversing over it at various speeds, generally "coasting" through an environment. I presume the PG nature & pacing prevents me from certain implementations and puts some constraints on me. A player might be in a cave one second and in an open area the next, or going through a crowded area of trees at a fast pace; these are just two of the many possible permutations.

I'm currently leaning on using FMOD as the audio middleware as a starting point to learn audio programming in general and hope to pull off the two goals previously mentioned.

Am I on the right track or is this vehicle gonna crash and burn?

I'm certainly a newbie learning all the audio vocabulary and what goes into audio programming. If you have any words of wisdom to impart on me and/or any references to other people in the industry (GDC, just a plain ol' book, etc) related to audio programming it would greatly be appreciated.

Further context: I also have a passion for music, programming and the luxury of time on my side.

Advertisement

Hi,

Disclaimer: I'm not that experienced in the subject myself!
However when I had to implement my audio layer I found “Game Audio Implementation” very helpful. It's written for Unreal but the presented concepts are universal IMO (I'm using XAudio2 through SharpDX for a custom .NET engine for instance).

Good luck! ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement