🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

(pure) ASM

Started by
43 comments, last by jbadams 4 years, 4 months ago

Hmm, yeah, I forgot cpus have micro code as well, so you still rely on software.

On the more constructive side, what is the problem of building your program on top of giants? You're doing that anyway, as you want to have a OS, all the development tools, a window system etc?

Why is, say, the C library bad? It saves you heaps and heaps of time.

Advertisement

mr_tawan said:
What is ASM game?

it`s a game programmed in a low level language that is faster than c++

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

You can learn assembly programming from a number of tutorials on the web. The Linux-specific part is a set of system calls the OS makes available to your process. Learn how to call them.

Now try to make a game. When you want to access graphics, sound or input handling, you'll probably be better off using libraries. But you have a lot to learn before this point.

Calin said:

mr_tawan said:
What is ASM game?

it`s a game programmed in a low level language that is faster than c++

This is generally not true. It's often easier to write fast programs in C++ than in assembly.

alvaro said:
You can learn assembly programming from a number of tutorials on the web. The Linux-specific part is a set of system calls the OS makes available to your process. Learn how to call them.

thank you alvaro. I would opt for learning how to do it in Windows straight but windows doesn`t seem to be a friendly environment for getting started.

Alberth said:
On the more constructive side, what is the problem of building your program on top of giants?

what giants? I said I want to use DirectX and Windows, I`m not aware of any other giants involved in the discussion.

Calin said:
I would opt for learning how to do it in Windows straight but windows doesn`t seem to be a friendly environment for getting started.

How? Download and install Visual Studio, create a new solution, compile - et voilá. How is linux any more friendly?

Also, DirectX is a way easier and sensible API than OpenGL.

alvaro said:
Now try to make a game. When you want to access graphics, sound or input handling, you'll probably be better off using libraries. But you have a lot to learn before this point.

I`m past that. I`ve been involved in at least two significant (beyond trivial) projects

@everyone I can`t keep up , I will review later what was said and post later whatever opinions I have

I essentially only ever program in Linux, but my advice is to stay in Windows if that's what you use. There are assemblers for Windows. Use one.

Juliean said:
How is linux any more friendly?

the exception defines the rule. You can`t understand the rule if you don`t know what the exception is about

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement