🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

(pure) ASM

Started by
43 comments, last by jbadams 4 years, 4 months ago

I`m a DirectX developer, I`m not a Linux die hard fan. But for learning purposes I`m considering Linux. Before I move on with my DirectX development. I know linux and games don`t mix but I`m a windows/directx developer. I`m looking for advice. There is console development which is windows independent.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement

What does the title have to do with the question?

Use SFML for access to graphics, sound and input, and OpenGL if your game uses 3D graphics. These libraries are cross platform, so you can even compile your game for Windows and Mac without much trouble..

Do you mean you want to learn assembly-language programming?

By ‘console’ do you mean game consoles (the first assumption on this site) or do you mean using the command line instead of a GUI product?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Bregma said:
Do you mean you want to learn assembly-language programming

I want to build a bare-bones ASM game.

Bregma said:
By ‘console’ do you mean game consoles

yes

alvaro said:
What does the title have to do with the question

You`re right, failed to make the connection.

alvaro said:
Use SFML for access to graphics, sound and input, and OpenGL if your game uses 3D graphics.

I want to go as raw as possible. I want the simplest setup possible, don`t want to rely on someone elses libraries.

Start by writing an operating system :D

Alberth said:

Start by writing an operating system :D

I only want to make a game, I`m not interested in writting OS`s or drivers

What is ASM game? Can you elaborate more ?

http://9tawan.net/en/

My only point is, that is a software library too. If you don't want to depend on software by someone else, you have practically nothing left but bare metal where you have to code machine instructions directly even without using an assembler.

Drawing an arbitrary line and forbidding libraries at one side of the line and use plenty at the other side, in the OS, runtime systems, development tools, editors, window systems, etc etc etc, feels somewhat inconsistent to me.

Alberth said:
you have to code machine instructions directly

that`s not reasonable

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement