🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Non-P2W game like Lords Mobile/Mobile Royal with active community?

Started by
4 comments, last by Envis79 4 years, 11 months ago

Hiyah there, I discovered this type of game at the beginning of this year. As a long time MMORPG player, I just love the fundamental mechanics of the game like that. I'm mostly playing Mobile Royal, it came out this year and the game already feels kinda dead. I just wish there was something like that with more active and passionate community and no bs P2W elements. Maybe any of you know if there's something like that in development, kickstarter, or already out?

I know it's cool to hate on mobile games, but I really believe that beefy hardware is not necessary for good games nowadays. I've played so many PC games like WoW, Dota, Overwatch for a long time, but something simple and competitive in mobile format just makes me really happy!
I wish I had enough expertise to start up my own open source game like that, but that's probably not going to happen for a while.

Thanks for reading ❤️

Advertisement

Why not acquire some skills, maybe team up with others and work on your own game?

If you want to create a non pay to win game there are countless options in this day and age to make that happen.

Programmer and 3D Artist

7 hours ago, Rutin said:

Why not acquire some skills, maybe team up with others and work on your own game?

If you want to create a non pay to win game there are countless options in this day and age to make that happen.

That's something I'd love to do. I'm currently learning as much as I can to make this project a reality, as there is just nothing like that on the market.

Ideally, I'd like to see a project like that completely open source and free of any monetization so that MMO community can grow without any berries of entry. I made a few reddits threads on the similar subject, and I mostly gather downvotes and no interest at all. I'm not sure how to go about making people interested. I understand that currently it's nothing but an idea, so maybe I should focus on doing heavy lifting myself and make an elaborate and articulate presentation and then promote it here and there?

I appreciate any thoughts and comments. Sorry if I make anyone cringe with this unorganized thread, it's just something I'm very passionate about and trying to gather my thoughts like this :)

47 minutes ago, Envis79 said:

Ideally, I'd like to see a project like that completely open source and free of any monetization so that MMO community can grow without any berries of entry.

Just so you know, the mobile market runs on monetizating their apps. Every mobile app I've ever worked on had some form of a model built in to generate revenue. This isn't going away anytime soon.

If you're looking at building an MMO you're going to need a lot of people on board and more than just ideas. Usually you build a proof of concept to attract potential team members. Ideas alone are not enough for anyone to devote such time to an MMO which requires millions of dollars in development which doesn't even touch on marketing. If people are willing to work for free then you'll save development costs. How will you plan on providing compensation to all team members involved if the project is a free, opensource, and has no monetization plan?

56 minutes ago, Envis79 said:

I made a few reddits threads on the similar subject, and I mostly gather downvotes and no interest at all. I'm not sure how to go about making people interested.

Anytime someone posts about an MMO it will not usually come welcomed because people in the game industry have seen these threads for years, and majority of the people posting have zero or very little experience developing games and don't even have the ability to finance the project. Essentially these are pipe dreams for the most part. If you're able to go out and make it happen, then great! You're not the majority.

1 hour ago, Envis79 said:

I understand that currently it's nothing but an idea, so maybe I should focus on doing heavy lifting myself and make an elaborate and articulate presentation and then promote it here and there?

If you're serious about such a project, then you'll have to do all the ground work and create a proof of concept. How you create a proof of concept can be a mix of doing some things yourself, or outsourcing. Once you have that then you might have a better chance getting people on board. However, you need to factor in that such games require talent and those talented enough to work on such projects most likely will require compensation. If you're lucky enough to build a successful and highly popular open source community for your MMO then you've truly gone beyond what a lot of people could accomplish.

I would suggest you actually work on a single player game first and see what really goes into such a project.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Thank you for such detailed response Rutin, I really appreciate it!

38 minutes ago, Rutin said:

Just so you know, the mobile market runs on monetizating their apps. Every mobile app I've ever worked on had some form of a model built in to generate revenue. This isn't going away anytime soon.

If you're looking at building an MMO you're going to need a lot of people on board and more than just ideas. Usually you build a proof of concept to attract potential team members. Ideas alone are not enough for anyone to devote such time to an MMO which requires millions of dollars in development which doesn't even touch on marketing. If people are willing to work for free then you'll save development costs. How will you plan on providing compensation to all team members involved if the project is a free, opensource, and has no monetization plan?

Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with current state of the market from consumer's perspective. However, I was thinking that maybe there's a workaround heavily monetized market, there has been a very successful open source project, which is completely free - Linux. The way Linux distributions were developed really inspired me. Why not apply similar concept to game development? I personally haven't encountered anything like that, probably exactly for the reasons you mentioned, as most big games take a huge amount of resources to be developed. This little idea of mine is not that big in my opinion, not compared to what's possible in 2019 and beyond.

It's a very small layout for an MMO, there's a perfectly squared map with player controlled castles, resources, and monsters spread out. Not much action, but those fundamental details are very interactive between each other. It's like a Rock–paper–scissors Online RTS game on mobile.

This type of game has been in a market for a long time, since 2013 I believe, the most popular example I think is Lords Mobile. It's just all the new content that is coming out is fully tied to monetization and sucking out players' wallets dry. Community development is also very weak, as they are making a better looking version of the same game every 1-2 years now with basically a complete progression reset.

To simplify, I'd like to see core concepts from World of Warcraft, Linux OS, and Lords Mobile combined in one project for mobile. I'm not sure if it makes sense lol.

Anytime someone posts about an MMO it will not usually come welcomed because people in the game industry have seen these threads for years, and majority of the people posting have zero or very little experience developing games and don't even have the ability to finance the project. Essentially these are pipe dreams for the most part. If you're able to go out and make it happen, then great! You're not the majority.

That is a perfect description of me tbh, I have very little experience with game development, and I have nothing but a small dream right now. Though, this idea of mine just won't leave my head, so I want to try make something of it. I don't know, even getting interest and inspiring some other people to create a similar project would be a win for me. If not, I want to contribute myself.

If you're serious about such a project, then you'll have to do all the ground work and create a proof of concept. How you create a proof of concept can be a mix of doing some things yourself, or outsourcing. Once you have that then you might have a better chance getting people on board. However, you need to factor in that such games require talent and those talented enough to work on such projects most likely will require compensation. If you're lucky enough to build a successful and highly popular open source community for your MMO then you've truly gone beyond what a lot of people could accomplish.

I would suggest you actually work on a single player game first and see what really goes into such a project.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%, there's a lot that goes into things like that. And I want to learn how to do it properly. I will be looking to start with something smaller and simpler and join other projects as your suggested earlier. Thank you Rutin ❤️

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement