🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

light probe (for global illumination) placement techniques?

Started by
2 comments, last by Frantic PonE 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm learning light probes used for dynamic global illumination. I have a question regarding the placement of light probes, as based on most of the pictures I have seen, they seem to be placed uniformly in a grid. Is that a reasonable way for placement? I feel that more should be placed in corners than in the middle of an area.

is there any research on light probe placement that minimize the overall data needed for rendering?

this GDC talk http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2012/slides/Programming%20Track/Cupisz_Robert_Light_Probe_Interpolation.pdf

mentioned irregular placement on tetrahedrons and how to do interpolation. but it doesn't seem to say much about placement itself.

this paper http://melancholytree.com/thesis.pdf mentioned that only one probe is needed in a convex shape, but I don't seem to see people do this, is it because this is only for static global illumination without moving objects?

what's the the latest development in light probe placement?

4313-grab-02.jpg

Advertisement

Back in 2015 Remedy gave a talk where they explained how they chose where to place specular probes. It's a little different for specular vs. diffuse, but the basics concepts are similar in terms of choosing ideal probe locations. 

1 hour ago, MJP said:

Back in 2015 Remedy gave a talk where they explained how they chose where to place specular probes. It's a little different for specular vs. diffuse, but the basics concepts are similar in terms of choosing ideal probe locations. 

This one's kind of the definitive GI probe talk for modern day rendering.

They separate diffuse GI probes, which have density based on scene complexity, from cubemap probes, which is also standard practice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement