🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bukai Music

Started by
5 comments, last by nsmadsen 5 years, 2 months ago

I love video games, and I love music. I wish to share all of the above with the world. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-8871034/sets/video-game-music-portfolio

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my music from all you wonderful people! 

Advertisement

Really impressive stuff, and a wide diversity of genres represented as well. You can definitely hear the improvement, and most importantly the confidence as the years progress. You do a great job of filling out the stereo spectrum through use of panning, although I still might suggest panning some more instruments to the side (especially in a song like "Hear - With").

The biggest aspect you should work on next is to evoke a more human performance. Most instruments sound a bit too quantized and diagrammed-in through the piano roll. Try to record yourself playing for each instrument after you've diagrammed the notes.

For your portfolio, I recommend tidying up things a bit. Get rid of the release dates and let the titles of the song let the listener know what they will be listening to. Also, having a shorter, yet more impactful portfolio is more effective than 150 songs of varying quality.

I enjoyed listening a lot, Bukai! If you have any questions, please message me and I would be happy to assist you in your composing career.

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

On 3/16/2019 at 8:19 AM, Alec Weesner said:

Really impressive stuff, and a wide diversity of genres represented as well. You can definitely hear the improvement, and most importantly the confidence as the years progress. You do a great job of filling out the stereo spectrum through use of panning, although I still might suggest panning some more instruments to the side (especially in a song like "Hear - With").

The biggest aspect you should work on next is to evoke a more human performance. Most instruments sound a bit too quantized and diagrammed-in through the piano roll. Try to record yourself playing for each instrument after you've diagrammed the notes.

For your portfolio, I recommend tidying up things a bit. Get rid of the release dates and let the titles of the song let the listener know what they will be listening to. Also, having a shorter, yet more impactful portfolio is more effective than 150 songs of varying quality.

I enjoyed listening a lot, Bukai! If you have any questions, please message me and I would be happy to assist you in your composing career.

First off, I would really like to thank you for your in depth and thoughtful response. It's rare that I get such a supportive response as yours! Secondly, you have very valid points! I will take all into account and improve my portfolio with the invaluable advice you presented to me. Thank you for your important input. It is truly appreciated! 

-Boo 

I really loved Butterfly - Passacaglia but I agree with Alec, the "performances" of these parts is way too sterile. Also the low impact of your drum hits could use some side chaining as well as direct compression, more reverb and a bit of EQ to give the drum hit more weight and length. 

The piano being so dry is rather distracting too. All in all, though, some fun and creative music! Now you can really push the production! 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

22 hours ago, nsmadsen said:

I really loved Butterfly - Passacaglia but I agree with Alec, the "performances" of these parts is way too sterile. Also the low impact of your drum hits could use some side chaining as well as direct compression, more reverb and a bit of EQ to give the drum hit more weight and length. 

The piano being so dry is rather distracting too. All in all, though, some fun and creative music! Now you can really push the production! 

Very good advice and valid points! Thank you for taking the time to listen to my music and provide feedback! It's immensely appreciated!

-Boo

You are totally welcome! 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement