🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for feedback

Started by
7 comments, last by Berend Salverda 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey all I'm an aspiring composer and would love to work on videogame projects. What do you think, would this music work, is this something you'd use?

Love to hear your opinions!

Kind Regards,

Berend

Advertisement

Hello Berend, fellow composer here. I think your music sounds awesome and is totally usable in game, either as in trailer or durinf manu, or cinematic. Will listen to more of your stuff, I followed you on soundcloud too. Hope to talk to you in the future.

Hey Berend,

I really like your music.

I always like the melody to be "whistle-able" or catchy (think John Williams).  I do get that with your track.

Reminds me of Halo.

16 hours ago, frozen.dragonfly said:

Hello Berend, fellow composer here. I think your music sounds awesome and is totally usable in game, either as in trailer or durinf manu, or cinematic. Will listen to more of your stuff, I followed you on soundcloud too. Hope to talk to you in the future.

12 hours ago, jbarrios said:

Hey Berend,

I really like your music.

I always like the melody to be "whistle-able" or catchy (think John Williams).  I do get that with your track.

Reminds me of Halo.

Thanks a bunch for the response and high praise haha. Are there also things you think I could improve on/you would do different/I should add or do to make it more usable for actual projects?

That is so hard to say without the project itself. For some games, this type of huge orchestral pieces just won't cut it. Or may not be as fitting as, for example, a chip tune, or a simple piano piece or an ambient track, if you know what I mean. And I can imagine the director for the game may have a specific vision for the sound for his game that he would like you to follow. I don't think there is something I would change composition-wise. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

P.S. One thing you may want to look into, if you haven't already, is interactive music. Softwares like FMod or Wwise. 

Hey Berend! I'll give you my feedback, for what it's worth... I think you need to forget the "aspiring" tag, you are a composer! That suite is really impressive, you should be proud.

The compositions themselves are very strong: there's a ton of variety so nothing gets old, yet you retain continuity and coherence throughout with the thematic stuff, the contrast in dynamics are very effective, and the whole suite flows very nicely. 

It's very well produced: the orchestration and instrumentation are very appropriate and in my opinion definitely in keeping with the source material that inspired the music (the game Anthem I assume?). You'll have to tell us what sample libraries you're using! ? Also, the mixing and mastering are done to a high standard.

But I think what I love most about it is the fact that it's very on-trend in that I feel the style of it seems to be in high demand in mainstream media in general, and I think this will serve you well when trying to find work as your music has a very definite appeal (if that makes sense ?).

As for constructive criticisms, please take these with a pinch of salt because they are only very small nit-picky things! They're just sample instrument-related things really... there are a few times when the sort of portamento slide transition of the string legato sounds a bit inorganic (0:49, 9:49 for instance), there are times when I think there's a synth lead playing underneath the strings? Maybe it's just a tad too loud for me (9:59) but that's just personal taste. Finally, there's something about the male staccato choir beginning at around 6:46 that just suggests to me it's just ever so fractionally out of time? But I could be wrong! Like I said, these are just very small sample related things, the composition and all the rest is extremely solid. 

Sorry for the long-ass post, those are just my humble opinions, take em or leave em! ? Could you maybe tell us a bit more about what inspired you musically when you were doing this? 

Cheers,

Matt

21 hours ago, frozen.dragonfly said:

That is so hard to say without the project itself. For some games, this type of huge orchestral pieces just won't cut it. Or may not be as fitting as, for example, a chip tune, or a simple piano piece or an ambient track, if you know what I mean. And I can imagine the director for the game may have a specific vision for the sound for his game that he would like you to follow. I don't think there is something I would change composition-wise. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

P.S. One thing you may want to look into, if you haven't already, is interactive music. Softwares like FMod or Wwise. 

Thank you once more for taking the time to respond. Interesting, I'll definitely take a look at those.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement