🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My first OST | Feedback please

Started by
10 comments, last by upallinsky 5 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys! Check my first OST for dwarf castle (location). If you have a time, pls give me some feedback ?

Advertisement

Hey, 

Thanks for sharing this for feedback! Some ideas: 

- Your trombone crescendo patch gets pretty tiresome after a while. I'd change that much sooner as you're giving the listener about a solid minute of having that repeat over and over. 

- Your piece lacks a defined melody. Instead it's a several segmented grooves or ideas. Until about 2:08. And now that same issue you had with the trombone crescendo repetition is now happening with your violin patch. 

- I think you can transition from segment to segment in a bit better method and manner. 

There's some good ideas but you just have to be careful not to make these so repetitive that they begin to annoy your player/listener. Also in your mix I'm not hearing a cohesive sound. Some instruments are pretty dry while others have a lot of reverb on them and this destroys the sense of space and environment of the actual recording itself. Finally, this track wouldn't work "as-is" if you wanted it to loop. I'd work on that a bit more. To me it feels like you could split these track up a bit more into smaller themes and really spend some time developing them. 

I hope that helps!

Thanks, 

Nate 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

3 minutes ago, nsmadsen said:

Hey, 

Thanks for sharing this for feedback! Some ideas: 

- Your trombone crescendo patch gets pretty tiresome after a while. I'd change that much sooner as you're giving the listener about a solid minute of having that repeat over and over. 

- Your piece lacks a defined melody. Instead it's a several segmented grooves or ideas. Until about 2:08. And now that same issue you had with the trombone crescendo repetition is now happening with your violin patch. 

- I think you can transition from segment to segment in a bit better method and manner. 

There's some good ideas but you just have to be careful not to make these so repetitive that they begin to annoy your player/listener. Also in your mix I'm not hearing a cohesive sound. Some instruments are pretty dry while others have a lot of reverb on them and this destroys the sense of space and environment of the actual recording itself. Finally, this track wouldn't work "as-is" if you wanted it to loop. I'd work on that a bit more. To me it feels like you could split these track up a bit more into smaller themes and really spend some time developing them. 

I hope that helps!

Thanks, 

Nate 

Hello! Thank you very much. I am very glad to see your feedback. If you have any ideas how to do it better, I would like to hear it. I could give you a project and if you have some time, I would work with you. I understand that you probably don't have a time, but just 5 minutes  and I would be very grateful) 

14 minutes ago, leenina said:

I am not an expert, just want to say it sounds really really good to me

Thx so much!) Maybe later i add some new track.

Destiny - Man, this is a fun track! I'd watch out for your low to highs balance here. I'm getting a LOT of highs but not much lows at all. This is making the mix feel tinny and thin. With the emotional, epic vibe you're building, there's PLENTY of opportunities here to make some big, large impacts. I really like the moment at 2:27 but I'd be careful about the rhythms here. With such a slow attack on the long(er) strings, it can make things feel out of time. The ending should be built up to be MUCH larger. The last few drum hits just don't do it justice at all. And consider a cymbal roll into that final hit with a nice, long reverb tail. 

It's a fun track but there's still a lack of a main melody. Not saying that's a problem but just be aware of it. 

The name fits - certainly feels like an epic, fates-driven song. Nice job, overall! 

Star Wars - You have to be really careful when writing to picture. You want to make sure your music matches the visuals perfectly in both terms of rhythm and vibe/mood. Unfortunately, I feel neither are matched up well in this video montage and your music. I would go back and look for key moments you want to hit and work out ways to build up the music (or have it suddenly drop out) to better fit the pacing of the visuals. Then also do a better job of establishing the vibe and mood you want the music to express. This music feels way more melancholy than what the visuals and the plot of The Empire Strikes Back presents. 

Also some of the same production tips I gave for Destiny apply here too. 

Hope that helps!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

14 minutes ago, nsmadsen said:

Destiny - Man, this is a fun track! I'd watch out for your low to highs balance here. I'm getting a LOT of highs but not much lows at all. This is making the mix feel tinny and thin. With the emotional, epic vibe you're building, there's PLENTY of opportunities here to make some big, large impacts. I really like the moment at 2:27 but I'd be careful about the rhythms here. With such a slow attack on the long(er) strings, it can make things feel out of time. The ending should be built up to be MUCH larger. The last few drum hits just don't do it justice at all. And consider a cymbal roll into that final hit with a nice, long reverb tail. 

It's a fun track but there's still a lack of a main melody. Not saying that's a problem but just be aware of it. 

The name fits - certainly feels like an epic, fates-driven song. Nice job, overall! 

Star Wars - You have to be really careful when writing to picture. You want to make sure your music matches the visuals perfectly in both terms of rhythm and vibe/mood. Unfortunately, I feel neither are matched up well in this video montage and your music. I would go back and look for key moments you want to hit and work out ways to build up the music (or have it suddenly drop out) to better fit the pacing of the visuals. Then also do a better job of establishing the vibe and mood you want the music to express. This music feels way more melancholy than what the visuals and the plot of The Empire Strikes Back presents. 

Also some of the same production tips I gave for Destiny apply here too. 

Hope that helps!

Nate

Thx a lot, man! Yeah, i have some problems with melody, because i usually used a voice for that, but in soundtrack voice doesn't need. I try to upgrade my tracks with your opinion.

In Star Wars this is my first video music experience. And now i understand that this is big fail. Hope for next time i was more prepared. 

And again, thx so much! 

16 minutes ago, upallinsky said:

In Star Wars this is my first video music experience. And now i understand that this is big fail. Hope for next time i was more prepared. 

Gotcha. In that case - why not just have the audio by itself? Tying it to the Star Wars visuals definitely gives an expectation. 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

4 minutes ago, nsmadsen said:

Gotcha. In that case - why not just have the audio by itself? Tying it to the Star Wars visuals definitely gives an expectation. 

Maybe you're right. Because I'm trying to meet expectations, but i think this is not my lvl now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement