🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Music composer and producer looking for feedback.

Started by
2 comments, last by chasedoesmusic 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey guys! I'm Chase, a composer and producer. I've had 4 years of experience in composing and producing music. A lot of people have been telling me that I should get into film and game scoring recently and it's something I'd love to try out. Here's a spotify link to all of my stuff, but don't judge all of it on one song because I experiment in many different genres and styles. I'm excited to get to know this community, let me know what you think.

Advertisement

Great stuff, I'm glad you're going to become a part of our small community, Chase!

Like you said, I enjoyed the amount of variety in your songs. There was a new experience in each one. Here are some of my notes:

- I think the aspect you should work on most is dynamics. Control the volume automation and velocity of each instrument over time in the song and your songs will go from okay to professional.

- Try expanding the stereo width by adjusting panning. Songs like "Vertigo" and "Onward" are too mono for me. Take a look at a random song you like and see which instruments are panned where. Using panning creates excitement in the listener's ear. In conclusion, you should make an effort to create as much stereo width as possible.

- Your piano tracks such as "I Opened My Eyes" and "The Edge" seemed to be drawn in a piano roll. I recommend recording your self playing to get a human performance. Even if you are not a great piano player, you can also adjust things later.

I think my favorite is "Snowdrop". You presented your message without letting too much stuff get in the way.

I wish you good fortune on your path to become a composer!

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

Thanks so much for the feedback, Alec! I'll definitely keep what you've said in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement