🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Otherworld release (A soundtrack for a hypothetical RPG)

Started by
5 comments, last by William Braddell 5 years, 4 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a Kiwi male trying to establish myself as a composer in the world of video game music design. I've just finished a small soundtrack for a hypothetical RPG. It isn't perfect but I created it to showcase my developing skills. You can check it out here for free:

https://williambraddell.bandcamp.com/album/otherworld

I posted this in the hopes of getting feedback so feel free to give me your thoughts!

I look forward to participating on this forum

Cheers,
William

Advertisement

This is a great approach and idea! I would urge you, however to try and create a main theme that can be cited in various settings/songs. Most RPG style games want an OST that can have an identifiable brand sprinkled across the full soundtrack. Listening through your tracks, I don't really hear that. It definitely creates a mood and vibe but if I was a potential RPG game dev, I'd want to hear more of a defined fingerprint on my game's music. Does that make sense? 

Also some of the tracks are quite ambient. Nothing wrong with that - and that style is definitely used in RPG games. But if you look at OST like The Elder Scrolls for example, they'll have very defined themes on some songs as well. What I'm hearing in your music is moments, settings. Ambient, long chords. I'm not hearing themes, and I think that's hurting you honestly. I'd keep these tracks as they are but see if you can write 2-3 other tracks that are highly melodic and theme driven. I think this will help round out your OST much better. 

I hope that helps! 

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Your mixing is already excellent, and the ambient nature of your tunes could easily fit within a video-game in my eyes. It definitely reminds me a lot of Jeremy Soule's style.

One thing I might suggest is try picking an instrument out from the mix to become the lead. All of the tracks seem to be a wash of multiple instruments, which might be fine in some cases but you often hear in most music that certain lead instruments seem to stick out above the rest. Like Nathan said above, I would recommend adding a few extra tunes that are more melodic. Maybe even add a solo piece.

Overall, I think you are definitely on the right track. Developers will be knocking on your door in no time. Good fortune, friend!

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

On 1/10/2019 at 4:33 AM, nsmadsen said:

This is a great approach and idea! I would urge you, however to try and create a main theme that can be cited in various settings/songs. Most RPG style games want an OST that can have an identifiable brand sprinkled across the full soundtrack. Listening through your tracks, I don't really hear that. It definitely creates a mood and vibe but if I was a potential RPG game dev, I'd want to hear more of a defined fingerprint on my game's music. Does that make sense? 

Also some of the tracks are quite ambient. Nothing wrong with that - and that style is definitely used in RPG games. But if you look at OST like The Elder Scrolls for example, they'll have very defined themes on some songs as well. What I'm hearing in your music is moments, settings. Ambient, long chords. I'm not hearing themes, and I think that's hurting you honestly. I'd keep these tracks as they are but see if you can write 2-3 other tracks that are highly melodic and theme driven. I think this will help round out your OST much better. 

I hope that helps! 

Nate

Thanks Nate, I actually can't believe I missed this! Having a theme is so essential. I'm trying to work on a new track now with one, it may not be the strongest again but I'll share it here when I'm done and you can tell me what you think! Thanks so much!

On 1/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, Alec Weesner said:

Your mixing is already excellent, and the ambient nature of your tunes could easily fit within a video-game in my eyes. It definitely reminds me a lot of Jeremy Soule's style.

One thing I might suggest is try picking an instrument out from the mix to become the lead. All of the tracks seem to be a wash of multiple instruments, which might be fine in some cases but you often hear in most music that certain lead instruments seem to stick out above the rest. Like Nathan said above, I would recommend adding a few extra tunes that are more melodic. Maybe even add a solo piece.

Overall, I think you are definitely on the right track. Developers will be knocking on your door in no time. Good fortune, friend!

Jeremy Soule is pretty much God in my eyes so I'm pretty humbled to hear what I've done reminds you of him.

Thank you both  so much for what have been two very helpful replies and I'll post here again when I've got more to show!

Fantastic quality on these tracks! Like the others have already commented, I'd like to hear something more distinctive to go along with the excellent ambient music. Like music suitable for intense battle or a boss fight or even wandering/specific locale music that presents a distinctive, memorable theme. I think that would really help you show off your composing chops to game devs and demonstrate greater versatility.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:09 AM, AndrewJL said:

Fantastic quality on these tracks! Like the others have already commented, I'd like to hear something more distinctive to go along with the excellent ambient music. Like music suitable for intense battle or a boss fight or even wandering/specific locale music that presents a distinctive, memorable theme. I think that would really help you show off your composing chops to game devs and demonstrate greater versatility.

Hey thanks for this Andrew and I'm going to keep working on everything you suggest.

Well I've finally finished working a track where I've aimed to have more melodic content. I'm not sure how successful I was and I really struggled with this one to be honest but tell me what you think anyhow.

Ravaged_Empire.aif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement