🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

13 years and counting: Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to finish my game

Started by
11 comments, last by Martin Brentnall 6 years ago

Thanks for writing your story here !

If your goal was to make a game, you probably took literally the worst decisions you could take :

- Creating an engine from scratch
- Creating all the tools for the game (level editor etc.)
- Over engineering things
- Adding a scripting language which adds yet another level of complexity

- Start again from scratch because your project was way beyond your inital knowledge

But it's clear that your real goal wasn't to make a game, even if you succeeded to. Learning and creating big things was your real goal, and for this you can be proud since you probably know more than most people involved into game development !

I went a bit crazy like you when creating my musical software FM Composer, when I decided to create the whole GUI from scratch. It's so satisying to understand how things are working. The most simple elements often have hidden complexity that you would never think about.

Can you give us a link to your game ?

Advertisement
On 5/31/2018 at 3:57 PM, Phanoo said:

Can you give us a link to your game ?

A funny thing happened:  Last week I registered a GitHub account with the intention of uploading the source code soon.  This week I deleted my GitHub account, so now I need to decide on an alternative (maybe GitLab).

The project was hosted on SourceForge before, but it's been a very long time since I updated it on SourceForge.

Another issue is that the game currently only works on Linux; porting to Windows is still on my "to do" list.

For now, the easiest way to see the game is probably just to watch one of the preview videos on YouTube:

Game:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qn5nScWq8Q&t=286s

Editor:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFiahyVE0dU

The videos are quite old, especially the Editor; a lot of the stuff shown in that video has been replaced or changed to make the overall UI more intuitive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement