🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help on how to paint tiles in realtime?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kryzon 6 years, 1 month ago

I am going to make ground tiles for a game and I wonder if it is possible in some program (I mainly use Photoshop so if it is possible in that it would be great) to paint the tiles and be able to see directly how it would look like when tiled together? For example say that I want to make a ground tile that is 32x32, it would be so great if I could see in realtime while I am painting on this small tile how this tile will actually look like if it would be tiled together as it will be in the game, so as to avoid strange overlaps etc in the tile graphics that I might only see when it is tiled together in a bunch of tiles. I hope my question makes sense.

Advertisement

Hi,

In krita you simply press 'w' and there you go. :)

Like in this video (except that you don't need symmetry).

Is this what you were asking for?

I second Gezus's. Krita's wrap mode is awesome.

I think the only thing closer to it in Photoshop might be to use duplicates of a single Smart Object, arranged on a grid (so they tile along the canvas).

Then you edit the Smart Object in a separate document (read up on how to edit a Smart Object, it's straightforward), and then when you save the Smart Object document it will update all the copies on that grid document so you can see how they tile.

There might be other ways, like using an Action that you recorded.

6 hours ago, mileafly said:

I mainly use Photoshop so if it is possible in that it would be great

Under the 3D settings there is a tile view editor.

The problem is that Photoshop can do almost anything and that is just too much; so most people never find what they are looking for.

6 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Under the 3D settings there is a tile view editor.

Oh that's cool, I didn't know about that.
I see it's for Photoshop CC and up. So leave the Smart Object approach for when you're using pre-CC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement