🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good books for learning 3D game programming?

Started by
3 comments, last by EddieK 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello, fellow game developers!

I have a little question for you all. After releasing few 2D games and programming simple 2D graphics framework for android, I started feeling this urge to go and make a 3D game, but not with pre-made game engine or something like that. Oh no... Instead, I want to make my own simple 3D game framework. I know, I know... Simple and 3D shouldn't go into the same sentence and nobody should write a game engine from scratch. But still, I think I would learn so much, and it would be some much fun to actually make a 3D game, even if it takes me years to do it. I enjoy the technical aspects of programming, and there's nothing more technical than making a 3D game framework/engine.

So my question for you guys is what books would you recommend for learning more about 3D game graphics and gameplay programming? Also, I'm not great at higher level mathematics. So it would be nice to learn some math along the way.

Anyways, that's all for now and thanks in advance for your hopefully wonderful replies ;D

Advertisement
3 hours ago, EddieK said:

Simple and 3D shouldn't go into the same sentence

I believe they can.

3 hours ago, EddieK said:

nobody should write a game engine from scratch

This also depends on the purpose. If you want to learn. If you want to know... Why not. Just as you are telling after.

Here are some books every 3D programmer should have:

Computer graphics Principles and practice (the second edition might be enough)

Real-time rendering (the third or even second edition might suffice)

Interactive computer graphics (same, an older edition will suffice)

Also, you'll need a book about the graphics API you'll want to use.

And you'll need a book about the full engine design like

3D game engine architecture

+1 for 3D Game Engine Architecture, I have the 2nd Ed of that book, and it's very informative.

+1 also for real-time rendering - great book too, and the companion website has a lot of awesome resources (that you can access, even if you don't buy the book).

I also offer up Essential Math for Games and Interactive Applications: https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Mathematics-Games-Interactive-Applications/dp/0123742978. It's a mostly great reference. The book aims to be easy to read, but it can sometimes require a 2nd or 3rd reading of some sections, or sometimes a Google search or other research, to really get the content. But still a solid reference/learning guide.

Thanks guys, I will certainly try to pick up few of these books. I'm ready for learning! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement