🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Climb Wall Question

Started by
13 comments, last by behdadsoft 6 years, 3 months ago
1 hour ago, behdadsoft said:

your sprite sheet seem can climb up automatically without script. right?

I use the Unity animation tool. That means the animation tool uses pre-recorded vector points then lerps between them using a graph.

You can do it using what you want, it's your game so you need to be the one who understands it. If you want a complex system then look at how existing engines do it.

Advertisement
12 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I use the Unity animation tool. That means the animation tool uses pre-recorded vector points then lerps between them using a graph.

You can do it using what you want, it's your game so you need to be the one who understands it. If you want a complex system then look at how existing engines do it.

I use Unity Engine too.

For example:

If i has 3d animated character that can walk, then when you enable Apply Root Motion in Animation component for it, you don't need write script for move character to forward and you only need enable walk animation in your script.

for sprites there is no Apply Root Motionso i need know is there something like this way for sprites? i think your sprite sheet have this property. Right?

if possible do you can give me your above sprite sheet for better understand?

On 3/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, behdadsoft said:

If i has 3d animated character that can walk, then when you enable Apply Root Motion

Root motion adds the animation motion to the motion of the object. So yes it's a shortcut for this types of motion.

However most of the time you will want physics, the Unity animations cause lots of problems with it's physics. To avoid this the animator won't be on the physics object and that means that Apply Root Motion won't work.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, behdadsoft said:

possible do you can give me your above sprite sheet for better understand?

The above sprites can be taken from the image but with so few frames it would be a pain to get looking right. Instead I made a new one and even made a quick Unity file. Tell me if there is problems.

ClimbExample.zip

I don't have the time to setup a proper climb with Unity's animation editor or to do a proper state machine for it. So you will see the code is just hacked together but it gives an idea of how this should work.

In short: Play climb animation, jump object to end point.

The new sprite sheet is better and has blue spots to show where the point of origin should be at. The one on it's side is the "Walk" animation; I didn't have the time to make a walk animation also.

ClimbSpriteSheet.thumb.png.8c61ae567fe7fa96b52fd34bd4764687.png

Sorry for the low quality, everything is rushed.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:20 AM, Scouting Ninja said:

Root motion adds the animation motion to the motion of the object. So yes it's a shortcut for this types of motion.

However most of the time you will want physics, the Unity animations cause lots of problems with it's physics. To avoid this the animator won't be on the physics object and that means that Apply Root Motion won't work.

The above sprites can be taken from the image but with so few frames it would be a pain to get looking right. Instead I made a new one and even made a quick Unity file. Tell me if there is problems.

ClimbExample.zip

I don't have the time to setup a proper climb with Unity's animation editor or to do a proper state machine for it. So you will see the code is just hacked together but it gives an idea of how this should work.

In short: Play climb animation, jump object to end point.

The new sprite sheet is better and has blue spots to show where the point of origin should be at. The one on it's side is the "Walk" animation; I didn't have the time to make a walk animation also.

ClimbSpriteSheet.thumb.png.8c61ae567fe7fa96b52fd34bd4764687.png

Sorry for the low quality, everything is rushed.

Thank you for give me your time. You really helped me a lot. And now, i know how should be design my climb wall animation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement