🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mini-form factor PC recommendations?

Started by
4 comments, last by khawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I've done a little bit of research for a mini-form factor PC to be used for light-medium gaming in a location where a larger form factor would be undesirable. Reviews seem to be all over the map, so I figured I'd see if the community has some ideas.

The trick seems to be finding something in the $500-800 USD range max. I know the $1500 USD range will cover my needs, but that's outside the budget. 

By mini-form factor I mean something approaching the Intel NUC. I've used a Gigabyte Brix for non-gaming purposes, and it chokes on anything that moves pixels.

Based on the gaming requirement, minimum GPU is likely GeForce 960 equivalent. CPU likely i5 equivalent. 4 GB RAM minimum.

So, any recommendations?

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

Just as an alternative... have you considered a steamlink? It's a good solution if you already have a gaming pc, and dirt cheap.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
14 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

Just as an alternative... have you considered a steamlink? It's a good solution if you already have a gaming pc, and dirt cheap.

Yeah, we have one for living room gaming. Does it work with non-Steam games/applications? I've never tried or looked it up. If it does, then that's a great option.. I just wasn't aware, but I need to be able to run non-Steam applications with it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

2 hours ago, khawk said:

Yeah, we have one for living room gaming. Does it work with non-Steam games/applications? I've never tried or looked it up. If it does, then that's a great option.. I just wasn't aware, but I need to be able to run non-Steam applications with it.

You can add non-steam games to steam, and it should work. I've never tried it myself, but AFAIK, you should be able to get your desktop, at least according to the FAQ. (note: that's pretty old and community-based rather than official, so might not be accurate).

You can even stream your desktop with full control of your PC, simply by adding something like notepad as a non-Steam game, then tabbing out of it while it's streaming.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
16 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

You can add non-steam games to steam, and it should work.

Ok maybe that's worth trying then. Much cheaper option. :)

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement