🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Playing Older Games in Windows 10 - Res Fixes Crashing

Started by
3 comments, last by Rutin 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure if this is just myself seeing this, but I wanted to know if anyone else has found the same trend when getting some old games to run on Windows 10.

This only applies to those games you cannot run even by trying compatibility mode. I've found that many older titles will sometimes load with a black screen, then attempt a resolution change, and crash. Others will simply load and shut down very fast, while some will load the intro video (usually just plays a video file), then once the video is done the game attempts to load it with a lower resolution and crashes. I've found that this only happens to me when the resolution is lower than my native resolution, and when I find a config file, or another method to change the resolution from say 800x600 to 1920x1080 the game will load up perfectly fine.

Some games this will just let you load for the first time, then it gives you the option to change the resolution in the options to allow it to run.

Has anyone else come across this?

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

I've encountered a few weird crashes like that.

Deus Ex 1 crashes due to multithreading issues, so I had to force it to run on a single processor core. Deus Ex: IW ran too fast, so I had to artificially slow down the processor it ran on (following directions for specific games by googling problems with that particular game online).

Many games I've had to try many different 'Compatibility modes', some working, others not. Sometimes the game had to run in Administrator mode to not crash, but gave no indicator of this - only with me accidentally finding out by trial-and-error.

With Wine on Linux (Ubuntu myself) you can have multiple Windows versions etc. by specifing prefixes. Also handy for backups etc.

12 hours ago, mike44 said:

With Wine on Linux (Ubuntu myself) you can have multiple Windows versions etc. by specifing prefixes. Also handy for backups etc.

I've always wanted to move into a Linux build but wasn't sure how to go about doing this. I have a custom computer I built, and several internal hard drives I could use for other OSs. I would love to play some of those games I have for Windows 95/98! All of my development tools are Windows based however, which is the reason I haven't really pushed for a transition. Something to consider for sure!

@Servant of the Lord Yes, I've found Windows 10 has so many quirky ways to get older games running. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I haven't had to force single core yet. :D 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement