🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

When YouTube echo rings in your ears

Started by
3 comments, last by FRex 6 years, 5 months ago

So yesterday I unsubbed from a certain "gaming news" channel, as I try to keep my subscribtions list clean and often cut channels out after many of their videos miss my quality mark and so on.

I don't wanna name it (I can link to it if you really want to see the disaster for yourself, feel free to PM me) to not be public shaming the guy or anything like that but it has largely become an echo chamber. I noticed yet another same topic video yesterday, went to check his videos page and guess what.

Out of 122 videos he made over last 3 or so months, can you guess how many are about lootboxes, EA, Destiny 2, etc.? So: 39... are not. So yeah: 83 out of last 122 videos he made are all about EA (Battlefront 2 debacle), Destiny 2, Activision, monetization, loot boxes, always online multiplayer, etc. And I'm not counting other on-the-fence videos like "hey guys, something worse than lootboxes happened in USA - net neutrality is over" or the YT stream in which lootboxes were just one of the topics or a video about invasive DRM that slows game down but got cracked quick (since I consider that fair criticism), of which there was one each.

An unrelated joke: I once seen a parody of an animated (rotoscoped actually) show in which one character's compliment towards the girl he tried to flirt with was changed in the parody to be "Hey, you don't look like Hitler". I guess this YouTuber might in such a situation say "Hey, you don't look like a lootbox.".

You could literally not even know what game genre Battlefront and Destiny are while watching him since there is more of his face, loot shops, article screenshots and so on than actual gameplay, but there clearly is market for such repetitive anti-AAA outrage based content, and people have the right to watch whatever they want and he delivers that to them.

I honestly don't know what happened. I know I must have subbed for other content since I don't care about criticism of EA, Bungie, etc. since I don't play any of their games for a while now, long before lootboxes were a thing.

Anyone else had weird experiences like that, waking up with a 30th repetitive and irrelevant to you video in your sub box in one month and finally wondering "why did I ever subscribe to that channel"?

Advertisement

Yeah, channel formats change over time.

I used to be subbed to a guy that makes kazoo remixes of metal gear games, and then he started making his own mediocre music.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:35 PM, FRex said:

Anyone else had weird experiences like that, waking up with a 30th repetitive and irrelevant to you video in your sub box in one month and finally wondering "why did I ever subscribe to that channel"?

Yea, it's known as growing older.

As you advance through life your experiences will change who you are. I find the effect is faster with music than Youtube channels, there is lots of my music that I now with more life experience don't like anymore.

There is a lot of that music that I wonder if I ever downloaded it myself or if I got it from friends.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:35 PM, FRex said:

Out of 122 videos he made over last 3 or so months, can you guess how many are about lootboxes, EA, Destiny 2, etc.?

This happens everywhere, hot topics is in fact things that people want to know about and talk about.

The problem with news sites is that they get into this slump where all they do is jump from hot topic to hot topic because it's easier than finding news. It's often best to only have one news channel that you can focus on.

It's a good idea just to go over your stuff every now and again and do some cleaning up, it's healthy and makes room for new things.

I have not grown older and my opinions didn't change in one year (turning from 23 to 24) to that degree. It was the channel that has changed from actual gaming news to almost exclusively these 3 topics.

There are channels I've subscribed to for years now that are still relevant to me because they didn't turn into something completely different in few months to cash in on outrage trends of the time. This channel I had to quit in under a year.

Covering EA, Bungie and/or lootboxes at times (when relevant) is fine but in these amounts it borders on mania or paranoia because "gaming news" (which is what this channel did and still claims to do) does not consist in 90+% of just these three topics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement