🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Over-ambitious projects

Started by
21 comments, last by Lord McMutton 6 years, 5 months ago

With video games we basically have this thing where there's the potential to create your own world where you can do what you want and runs by whatever rules that you want and if it turns out your world is awesome and you're lucky you can get rich. The barriers to do all this are perceived to be quite low, and in some ways they actually are, at least in that a basic set of equipment, learning materials, and marketing ability can be acquired for very low cost. There is also actual game maker software that exists and is designed to provide a low barrier method of making games and there are libraries that programmers can purchase and use to implement various features.

Given a general desire to create, as well as at least partial knowledge of what is truly out there, and how TV and movies tell of god like powers that software has, I am not in the least bit surprised at beginners having these grand ambitions.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, kseh said:

With video games we basically have this thing where there's the potential to create your own world where you can do what you want and runs by whatever rules that you want and if it turns out your world is awesome and you're lucky you can get rich. The barriers to do all this are perceived to be quite low, and in some ways they actually are, at least in that a basic set of equipment, learning materials, and marketing ability can be acquired for very low cost. There is also actual game maker software that exists and is designed to provide a low barrier method of making games and there are libraries that programmers can purchase and use to implement various features.

Given a general desire to create, as well as at least partial knowledge of what is truly out there, and how TV and movies tell of god like powers that software has, I am not in the least bit surprised at beginners having these grand ambitions.

it absolutely has gotten easier, slightly cheaper, and with more knowledge about online.  I would say that's one of the many reasons.  The other is the lack of experience in building these things called games.  I've worked on projects where I dreaded opening up the IDE to work and others where I couldn't go to bed I was so excited to work on tomorrow's component.  The art of making games is what drives me, not the money, not the project itself (though you do need a good one to keep you motivated) but the artform that is game making.  I would love to work in a 50 man team on a grand vision but for every 10,000 visions only 1 ever see's the light of day.  I made the quip about Chris Roberts because he was kind of an exception to the norm because of his history but he did literally the same thing everyone else did.  He only did it with marketing support.  "I have this grand vision of a game idea I want to make" is something I've heard millions of times over the last 15 years.

It also needs to be pointed out that while modern tool chains make it easier to make games, games themselves have become more complex.  YMMV.

It's pretty much a rite of passage, isn't it?

You jump into this area of expertise bright-eyed and full of wonder, and set your sights on the highest reaches of its expanse!

And then after many attempts, you discover that you can't just jump all the way up there in a single leap; you have to build your way to it- create a stairway of more reasonable projects and then start working your way up, step by step.

- Artist - Aspiring Character Designer - Swordsman -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement