🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does violence stem from video games

Started by
42 comments, last by GameDev.net 6 years, 4 months ago

Didn't the Tomb Raider reboot have that option? I think there was a trophy in there somewhere for making it through the game without killing anyone... I wouldn't know. I get kinda Manhunt-y when I get shot at. While we're on it, I liked Manhunt. It gave me the option to do to "someone" what I think about doing to that asshole that stops right in front of me for no reason when I'm walking to the gameshop.

I once heard a phrase that stuck with me: "A hammer thinks everything is a nail."

As a gamer I can find studies that'll say games do not induce violence. It's Marylin Manson/Ozzy/Judas Priest's fault. But as a metalhead I can find studies that say music isn't to blame either. As a mysanthrope I say it's other people. And the more of them together, the more violent thoughts I get. Put me in a movie theater and I'll be steaming just before the teasers are done.

I don't act on it though. That's what Manhunt's for. I think, at the end of the line, whatever the studies say, it's bad wiring. Me, I'm able to reason with myself and if nothing else, I can still restrain myself because I don't want to go to jail for giving the sudden-stopping-asshat what I think he deserves. But judging by a study that says domestic violence goes up during Superbowl, not everybody's prefrontal cortex is firing on all cylinders.

I'm not even saying bad wiring makes you an instant warlord. Hell, I have bad wiring, apparently I am on the edge of the autistic spectrum. But I know what is expected of me in a civilized world, so the parts I don't agree with I can still act my way through. 

Err... I kinda lost my train of thought... Anyway, no. Games do not cause violence. It's probably chemtrails.

Advertisement

I’m no historian, but I’m pretty sure violence came just after the Xbox 1 and a bit before the PlayStation 3? Err I could be wrong.

Seroiusly, people who think violence stems from video games must only know history going back to a couple of years ago. I wonder if they can read? 

Actually, no I’m wrong, but it does prove time travel. The Romans, Nero, ... countless others, Hitler, Stalin they all had PlayStations which must’ve been transported back in time - before that no doubt they were really nice guys. 

A simulation of murder spilling out into real life? I would say Yes, such games contribute to violence as inhibitions can be reduced. Yes. However there is always ones personal constitution that certainly could prevent one from transferring, ...projecting what they see to flesh and blood life. But just hitting a static, non-living target is always entertaining, like shooting an arrow or throwing a snowball, or bowling ball.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement