🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does violence stem from video games

Started by
42 comments, last by GameDev.net 6 years, 4 months ago

I am currently studying games development at college and need a survey answering for my essay.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/W2LG7CV

If you answered, thank you. Please share if you can. I need 1000 responses for it to be credible

Advertisement

No, almost all violence stems from government, directly or indirectly.

"Does violence stem from video games?"

No, games are just art and art imitates life. The first shooting games weren't made because games are violent it was made because people find violence to be fun.

Games create a world where people can be as violent as they want to be, without any real consequences to there actions.

Studies have looked into violence in games and there effect. The problem is that for every study that proved games make people more prone to violence there is one that proves games are a good outlet for violent people, preventing them from causing harm.

For every study that shows games can push a already violent person into a raging fit there is one to prove that it can calm violent people down.

In other words the game is not the most important variable here, it's the person playing the game.

As for games and violence they go hand in hand,  both is important to survival.

As long as there is a smart living animal there will violence and games, and violent games. Even dogs play violent games with there pups to teach them about danger, lions play hunting with there cubs to teach them to kill.

This type of question comes around soon after most major violent crimes.

There have been actual studies on the topic. Many of them.  They've been published in all kinds of journals and such.  The results are clear and consistent.

Most studies looking for a positive correlation never find it, although players often stay in the same emotional frame for a short time.  Playing a horror game can put you in an anxious state of mind, playing a music game can help you feel musical.  Some people find it odd, but the emotional frame for violent games is generally not a violent mindset or a cruel mindset, instead it is a competitive mindset. The games put you in the same mindset as a chess tournament, or a boxing competition, or a football game, or a debate competition.  The emotions are competitive and most people focus on performing their best. Playing a game that includes violence tends to help you feel upbeat and positive if you were winning, or the "agony of defeat" upon loss, usually triggering introspection for corrections and improvements rather than aggression.

Instead of a positive correlation with real-world violence, broad studies find an inverse correlation with across society as a whole.  The more that people have access to violent games, it seems the less inclined they are to commit violent acts.

I've talked about this with people who actually study it. One theory is that people who are frustrated or feeling mildly aggressive have a safe place to explore the emotion, which helps them cope.  Another theory is that those who would naturally be more prone to aggression (young men) will group together and use their aggression outside the real world, planning raids and other actions in the online world rather than the physical world. 

So while games clearly have an impact on people and mood, that impact usually ranges from neutral to very positive.  A few rounds of my favorite game (violent or not) are a great way to cheer me up.

Interesting question. Try asking the question - How long have we been killing each other for and how long have video games existed?  The evidence should answer this question for you. Perhaps one should ask oneself if anything is violent if it is a matter of survival. In that case - violence only exists among humans in senseless hate or with psychopaths. And psychopaths does per definition not need a reason for violence, which renders the question, once more, - irrelevant.    In my personal view, video games is as much a catalyst for violence as semi-cold chocolate milk. I hate room temperature chocolate milk. One day I might kill someone over the last cold cocoa.   Fake lord have mercy on my soul.

Alpha Silverback

We are still living in the least violent times in recorded history , so no, violence does not come from games. There are people who may have violent tendencies , and violent media may help embolden it, but it is not the source or root cause. 

I wouldn't give you very good marks for this survey...

Do You Think That Violent Video Games Influence Peoples's Behavior?

The word "influence" here is extremely broad. Take this for example:

Do you think that art has an influence on the viewer?

Of course it does! If art doesn't influence us, then it's crappy art. Game are activities about the player making guided choices - the whole purpose is to create a space in which different behaviours can occur, and to influence the behaviours that will be chosen.

So, in your survey, I'm forced to say "Yes, video games influence behaviour", but it seems like what you're really trying to ask is "Do violent video games make people violent?", to which the answer is "no", and you can cite the academic research to back that up objectively instead of basing it on an opinion poll.

So you've asked me one question, to which the answer is unarguably "yes", but you're going to interpret the results as if I was answering a completely different question, to which the answer is "no".

If A Child's Behavior Is Because Of A Video Game, Is The Behavior Down To Bad Parenting?

Again, this is terribly worded. What behaviour? That they can perfectly time the button presses to perectly duck and jump through the Battletoads Level 3 Bike Sequence - Turbo Tunnels? If so, no, that's not bad parenting at all. In this situation the game has encouraged the child to develop superhuman memory and timing skills!

If what you really meant to ask is "If a child has become violent from playing violent video games, are the parents to blame?", then again that's survey design because you're begging the question -- assuming the truth of an argument so that the conclusions that support that argument can follow. It's illogical.

Any results that you get out of this survey are worthless.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:58 PM, MarkJackson2000 said:

I am currently studying games development at college and need a survey answering for my essay.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/W2LG7CV

If you answered, thank you. Please share if you can. I need 1000 responses for it to be credible

Although experts agree that no single factor can cause a nonviolent person to act aggressively, some studies (though not all) suggest that heavy exposure to violent media can be a risk factor for violent behavior. Children who are exposed to multiple risk factors -- including substance abuse, aggression, and conflict at home -- and also consume violent media are more likely to behave aggressively.

There are so many great benefits to media and technology, including the potential to teach valuable skills. Doing research about TV shows, movies, or games before your kids watch, play, and interact with them will go a long way in helping them avoid the bad stuff.

Software Developer

6 hours ago, Hodgman said:

If A Child's Behavior Is Because Of A Video Game, Is The Behavior Down To Bad Parenting?

Again, this is terribly worded. What behaviour? That they can perfectly time the button presses to perectly duck and jump through the Battletoads Level 3 Bike Sequence - Turbo Tunnels? If so, no, that's not bad parenting at all. In this situation the game has encouraged the child to develop superhuman memory and timing skills!

I think that the most "destructive" effects of video games on child development is not necessarily violence. The problem is the amount of time spent  acquiring skills which are not useful in other contexts. Other recreational pastimes will allow a child to develop important skills.

Reading will teach you vocabulary.

Sports will keep you in good shape, and teach you to be around other people.

Listening to pop music will allow you to relate to a large (ageless?) group of people around you.

Playing a portable instrument will allow you to entertain people at a campfire/field-trip.

Playing 8-ball will get you to go to a club and be part of a local "happening" in your town

etc...

I find the solitary nature of *TV* and pc-games to be worrying. You usually don't develop much as a human being by playing them.

Personally, I started developing because of my fascination with gaming as a child. But most of my gamer friends did not. Also, while I spent alot of time gaming on a couch with other friends (there was no internet back then :-) ), my closest friends as an adult did not come from gaming. Now that I have children, I find my "physical education" skills as much more useful than my gaming skills. Also, I don't have the time to lose myself in the solitude of a good game.

I think computer games and TV are an easy out for parents, because it keeps their children quiet while they can do other things. As such it is very tempting to get your son a Playstation/TV in his room and let them waste away. Then they blame the kids because they are not mature enough to regulate their time...

I would be thrilled if my kid took up boxing because of something they experienced on a computer game. However I think that the only thing most computer games will motivate a child to do is: Play more computer games.

So I think talking about violent children because of TV and Computer games is completely missing the danger in giving kids unlimited access to digital media.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

On 10/9/2017 at 5:23 AM, SillyCow said:

I find the solitary nature of *TV* and pc-games to be worrying.

It took me a long time to see it, but I find that the worrying part of games, if there is one, is the use of them as a crutch- as escapism.  Playing games is great, because games are great - but when it becomes a vice, at the expense of experiencing the rest of your life, then that's when it becomes a problem, IMO.  I used to spend enough time playing or thinking about games that it had a significant impact on my health and relationships, but refused to admit it at the time.  I still play a lot of games, but I'm conscious of how much, and it's impact.  I get out and do other things, talk to people, exercise, go to concerts- and my health (physical and mental) is much better for it.

That's not to say games aren't valuable as escapism either.  Nothing wrong with venting your frustrations for the day by firing up Doom for a few hours or something (at an appropriate time)- as long a you remember to go back to real life and actually deal with whatever frustrated you in the first place.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement