🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Blog about game writing - how to build one.

Started by
5 comments, last by jbadams 6 years, 10 months ago

So I've tried building a WordPress blog for my writing ideas, thoughts, and aspirations. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Is there a better way to build a free blog site for this?

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

Advertisement

Yes you can build one here on this site using the Blogs. It gets a lot of traffic and people will read it. If you want to make a blog that makes money then I really can't tell you. Interest in game blogs is low unless the game does well.

If you're just trying to get your ideas out there, and possibly start building a name for yourself, then I think our blog section is probably an excellent choice. It's easy to set up, there's an existing audience interested in game related topics, and the site helps with exposure through widgets on the front page and our social media accounts.

If you're looking for something you can potentially monetise you'll need to set up your own site. There are some hosts that do most of the setup work for you - search for 'managed Wordpress hosting' - it tends to be a little pricier, but they typically handle things like setup, updates, etc.

- Jason Astle-Adams

18 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Yes you can build one here on this site using the Blogs. It gets a lot of traffic and people will read it. If you want to make a blog that makes money then I really can't tell you. Interest in game blogs is low unless the game does well.

Oh nice! I could try that.

16 hours ago, jbadams said:

If you're just trying to get your ideas out there, and possibly start building a name for yourself, then I think our blog section is probably an excellent choice. It's easy to set up, there's an existing audience interested in game related topics, and the site helps with exposure through widgets on the front page and our social media accounts.

If you're looking for something you can potentially monetise you'll need to set up your own site. There are some hosts that do most of the setup work for you - search for 'managed Wordpress hosting' - it tends to be a little pricier, but they typically handle things like setup, updates, etc.

Yeah the idea is to build a name for myself. Like Scouting Ninja said, I could try this site's blog. 

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

On 9/2/2017 at 5:35 AM, jbadams said:

I tried to post a blog last night. Nothing showed up. Any help?

Sorry for the slow response - I assume you figured it out though, as I see an entry. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement