🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I want to change the "game".

Started by
7 comments, last by Shemron 6 years, 9 months ago

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I couldn't be any happier to be apart of the community.

Just to jump right in and give you guys a little history about myself, I'm a young aspiring game-dev like the many-lots of you here whose been cringing to really "solidify" myself into game development. Since I'd say about 4-5yrs old I went straight onto the computer and never looked back- along the years I started questioning the concept of how people "built" games given "gaming" was all I had in the household I was in.  It was the "GTA" series(back then the latest was GTA: San Andreas I believe) that inspired these thoughts and pushed me to dig deeper into this "development process". In 6th grade I found my alpha-genesis, a premier community for playing & MAKING online games. It was called "Build Your Own Net Dream" aka "BYOND". From there I finally got to see the actual spice and process of game development as far as all the things a game needs- at first I thought I figured all games were apart of a drag-and-drop engine and later polished by a code that converts those games to be playable on different platforms- clearly I was wrong(atleast for the most part.)

Through my adventure from 6th grade till now I've worked on over 15+ games in the light of DM-programming and built an average of 4-6 myself, excluding a couple I've discontinued or never finished. In the BYOND community, alot of people told me DM-coding was similar to C++, although I agree- clearly there are differences and it was already hard for me to begin to learn how to code as is... I started my journey scavenging through libs & open sources, reconstructing them and toying with the engine to familiarize myself with something I was completely oblivious too but- interested in. It was hard yes, considering I did everything alone but eventually I seasoned myself into the community and it's language to produce them several games that has branded its own legacy for the community "whole". 

I seek advancement now, a new chapter. I have amazing gaming ideas/philosophies that I want for the WORLD to see, not just a local-nerd community of rippers and wanna-be devs(hey I call it how I see it.) and I say that in the most positive way you can imagine. I never went to school or opened a book to learn about programming, I just seen it, played with it, comprehended enough functions and systemics to bring me to the level I'm at today, and yes- I am still Entry. Although I do believe In myself, I believe I have great potential as far it goes in producing a game that could break the charts.. I'm still alittle new to alot things, I never seek'd teachings or guidance from anyone aside from a few volunteers whose helped me with debugging- but most of what I've accumulated was on my own and I can't say I "trust" that chapter of myself enough to go "Hey, you know what, screw this I'm going public." So I come here in light of seeking more knowledge although I do catch myself ignoring/avoiding help- it's a habit I've grown accustom too but during this new chapter, it's a habit I hope will break.

Thank you all for taking the time to read me vent and introduce myself, hopefully with the help I receive from this community I can show you exactly what I mean in the dear future.

Regards,
ShemronStudios
Advertisement

Welcome, welcome! I do enjoy reading origin stories. Hope you find what you're looking for here. :)

Hi and welcome to the community.

With your experience you probably know a lot about making games, I hope you share that experience with us.:)

4 hours ago, Shemron said:

the WORLD to see, not just a local-nerd community of rippers and wanna-be devs(hey I call it how I see it.

In my personal experience it's easier to get the world to notice your game than to get the local game development community to notice. The community cares mostly about how the game was made not how it's played.

If you uploaded a game here and asked people to play it you would maybe get four players, yet a single article on how you made X or Y for your game will get hundreds to thousands of readers.

What I am saying is that if your looking for the world to notice you have to advertise to the world.

4 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

What I am saying is that if your looking for the world to notice you have to advertise to the world.

The reason for my transition. The community I came from was pretty annoying in terms of their actual maturity level. Ontop of that everyone thought they were a developer stealing source codes and then a dominoe effect began- long story short it's been toxic for years and I'm finally deciding to jump into a more serious field. It'll be tough but the beauty in it all will be the hard work. The art of my ideals will show for themselves and hopefully it attracts the majority gaming population.

There's this one project I'm currently breaking down into a Design document that I'm working on. As of now I see it as a potential tell-tale-mmo, I've been surprising myself alot lately and here I am finally with all the resources and knowledge I need.

Thanks for the warm welcomes & thanks in advance for tolerating me in the Dev Help sub, see you there !

:D

21 hours ago, Shemron said:

long story short it's been toxic for years and I'm finally deciding to jump into a more serious field.

Sometimes starting new is exactly what you need. I hope you find what you are looking for.

The art of my ideals will show for themselves and hopefully it attracts the majority gaming population.

A good idea is to make small games, simple one mechanic things showing how your ideas can be used. Doing so will provide both players and developers a chance to see what you can do.

You could also try a hobby project and recruit others with free time. With your experience a lot of people would join you. Just a piece of advice here the teams do break off a lot, so plan for that if it is what you want to do.

a Design document that I'm working on.

You can post pieces of it here to get some really good feedback or maybe start a Blog here.

potential tell-tale-mmo

You will find that most comments on a MMO will be negative as they should be. The problem is with the first M, Massive.

The massive part requires massive amount of resources, so people will advice you to start with a simple Multiplayer Online game first. Often this is how indie MMO's start, first as a MO and then they either sell to a company that can manage a MMO or they use there new acquired resources to turn the game into a MMO.

In theory there is no such things as a indie MMO, because you stop being indie when things get Massive.

If you asked for help revolving around MO games you find a lot here, if you ask a specific question about MMOs you will again find a lot of answers here. If you asked people how to make a MMO you will only be told it's difficult.

My art teacher told it best I think:

Gaining a skill is like climbing a never ending mountain. If you stand at the bottom and shout at the people climbing, all they will shout back is that it's difficult and you should turn around. If you climb the mountain anyway and get stuck, you will suddenly find many people shouting advice at you; telling you what paths they took to get where they are.

Ah, I see where you're getting at. I guess I underestimated the necessities it took to build a Massive MO, regardless I didn't think I would be capable of producing something like that on my first try at UE4 anyway. You could say I used those two genre-types to kind of give you an idea of what I was looking for in terms of a "new genre" or "type game" that I believe I can produce, or will push to produce. A Tell-Tale sort of MO that allows players to connect with each other online while at the same time pursuing their own story with their own spins. Sort of like TWD/Fallout series but of course with the twist of making it "MO capable".

I'm sure it'll be a challenge but I'm also positive that when I do polish and finish up with a DD, that this will most likely be the franchise I kick off with...still thinking of a name too, gosh I feel like thats the hardest part. 

On 2-9-2017 at 9:39 PM, Shemron said:

...still thinking of a name too, gosh I feel like thats the hardest part. 

Use a (temporarily) production-name until the game is reasonably fleshed-out, the name should come forward by itself then.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:06 AM, Dramolion said:

Use a (temporarily) production-name until the game is reasonably fleshed-out, the name should come forward by itself then.

Good idea, just working on it abit last night lead me to a few ideas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement