🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RetroPie Console

Started by
3 comments, last by Codeloader_Dev 6 years, 10 months ago

I recently built a console that can play many different games on the Raspberry PI. It was a cool project. I purchased a PI, got a microSD card, and burned RetroPie onto the card. The result - a great console that can play any type of game on SNES, NES, Sega, and other game systems. It only costs like $50 or so. Has anyone done this? It is really worth it as you can enjoy retro games and hacks of them. It hooks up conveniently to your HDMI on the TV.

20170525_231636.jpg

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Advertisement

Not for RetroPi but I have a RPi3 and it's pretty great. Cheap, silent, low power consumption and it can run a full Linux distro (no Android, no some obscure outdated hardware specific distro) like Debian based Raspbian.

Cool stuff. Wish it had 2Gb of RAM and a better bus since it has like a single 10MB/s bus for everything, that means all USB ports, SD port, networking, etc.

Extremely easy to setup too. Just burn the image on the SD, put it in, and it's booting.

I hope that eventually main Debian project will support it completely (maybe for RPi4's CPU?) so I can just grab one of their ISOs instead of Raspbian.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I am running retropie on a RP2+

Works great except for N64 titles.

RetroPie is da Bomb. I heard Rpi3 works best for N64 titles.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement