🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Favourite cocktails?

Started by
17 comments, last by McGrane 6 years, 10 months ago

I know at least a few people here enjoy a good drink, so let's hear your cocktail (or mocktail if you know a good one - it's good to cater to the non-drinkers at a gathering too!) suggestions!

Bonus points if, without further information (because I don't know any) anyone can stumble onto the delicious cocktail I tried the other week which has cranberry juice and passionfruit pulp as ingredients. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

I enjoy an Old Fashioned myself. Some bars are not usually fully stocked for an OF however, in which case I fall back to my previous favorite Tom Collins, a bitter and sour drink with gin as the base alcohol.

Cranberry + Passion Fruit reminded me of Sex on the Beach, but I got mixed up between Passion Fruit and Peach. If you know the base alcohol (vodka, gin, tequila, or rum), you can identify it better, but I believe the drink you are looking for is Passion Fruit Bay Breeze, part of the Breeze drinks family. The pulp is just a variation made up by the local bar you got it from.

Another of my personal favorite that I found by myself is rum and coconut juice. This tropical beach combination is just super refreshing. I might improve it with crushed mint as garnish.

Beer.

Not the overhopped monstrosities that are purveyed by most North American craft breweries, or the insipid swill passed off by the major international brewers.

The best is either a real ale down at the local in the UK, a Pilsner in Prague, or anything anywhere in Belgium especially if it's been blessed by monks.  Unfortunately, that kind of travel is beyond my budget currently, so I keep trying local craft ales looking for something satisfying.  Haven't found anything yet, but heck knows I keep trying.

Also, I once really enjoyed a couple of Manhattans in Manhattan, at least until I got the bill.  Can't afford that either.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Guinness pub cans.  Only way to go!

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

While I do like a good beer, wine or whisky...if we're talking cocktails, I'm partial to a Harvey wallbanger. Or if we're talking shots, baby Guinness (baileys poured over kahlua) is great. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Something like 85% of my alcoholic intake comes from different types of beer and most of the rest is pure whiskey, rum, cognac or similar, but sometimes I mix cocktails/whatever. 

Baccardi limon + cola is probably my most common one, but nothing special at all. The lemon flavor works nice with coca cola and makes the drink a bit more fresh than regular white or spiced rum imho, but the primary motivation is the simplicity.

Vodka + tropical juice + few drops of grenadine - This is a slightly modified screwdriver, or a modified tequila sunrise if you will. The tropical juice makes it a bit more "summer-y" and the small amount of grenadine makes a nice addition, if nothing other than to make the appearance a bit layered/toned/whatever.

Strawberries + spiced rum + lime juice + sugar + crushed ice - Lazy version of a Strawberry daiquiri. A bit more involved to create since it requires a blender, but it's an incredibly nice drink for a hot day in the sun, that lasts long, tastes great and looks/feels somewhat luxury. I usually just pour some sugar into the blender instead of boiling sugar+water to create syrup. This one also works really well as a non-alcoholic drink. I highly recommend fresh strawberries (raspberries also work well) as frozen berries can easily make the drink too "thick" to be drinkable. For bonus points, decorate the glass with a strawberry and/or a mint twig.

Vodka + white wine + sprite + elderberry juice + frozen berries (ie raspberries and black currant) - This is a perfect mix to serve in a bowl with some ice as a welcome drink or similar. 30-40cl vodka, 50-60cl wine, 1-1.5L sprite and maybe 20-30cl elderberry juice, then decorate with some frozen berries which should also give it a bit color. A word of warning though, the berries eventually end up everywhere so stuff like white carpets and furniture are not optimal.

I just like Perrier and lime juice with Ginger. That's one strong drink! If I put too much ginger my face turns red. That is a real man's drink in my opinion.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Come to my restaurant in a few months when it's been renovated into a cocktail bar, and I'll show you. ;)

I grew up in the tropics, as a result, I enjoy a good rum. In the US of A, the pinnacle of rum-based drinks would be the New Orlean's Hurricane.

Light rum, dark rum, and 151 proof rum. It's the kind of drink that knocks your socks off.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I like a good Manhattan or an Old Fashioned, really anything with Bourbon, Whiskey, or Whisky.

swiftcoder, why rum+rum+rum+other when you can have rum+mint+lime+simple syrup+club soda (man, math is hard after so much rum)?  I'll take a Mojita over a Hurricane any day of the week. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement