🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are there any WinForm based games on Steam?

Started by
2 comments, last by Spidi 6 years, 10 months ago

Are there any WinForm based games on Steam?  I guess I mean one that has some measure of popularity, one that people actually bought, has reviews, etc.

Advertisement

I would be greatly surprised if that was the case. Why would anyone want to do that? WinForms (assuming you are talking about the old .NET gui system) is certainly not made for games and though it's supposedly cross platform these days, it's incredibly buggy on non-Windows platforms. Something like MonoGame is a muuuch better option, even if that too is somewhat buggy.

If you mean using WinForms as the main "rendering" library and fully GUI based WinForms game, I highly doubt that (maybe there is who knows but it must be pretty well hidden :) ). Even if you mean GDI based, so using only the GUI library and the software based rendering library (System.Drawing namespace) of windows, I would say again, I highly doubt that (it would pretty slow for rendering full-screen semi-complicated applications that way and as DvDmanDT mentined both WinForms and GDI has many issues when it comes to Linux/Mac).

As for a games that use WinForms under the hood for windowing as an example there are a lot actually! The "GameWindow" implementation of both XNA and MonoGame is based on WinForms and there are a lot of XNA/MonoGame based games on Steam (even extremely popular ones like Stardew Valley or Magicka). Other libraries like SlimDX or OpenTK can be used to easily build HW accelerated games on top of WinForms based windows.

Blog | Overburdened | KREEP | Memorynth | @blindmessiah777 Magic Item Tech+30% Enhanced GameDev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement