🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio samples - feedback request - experimental style music

Started by
5 comments, last by Intonarumori 6 years, 11 months ago

Hi, 

I haven't started to reach out to indie developer just yet, but I intend to do so in the not too distant future. Can you have a quick listen and let me know your opinion of the following samples:

Neo-80s horror:

Electro-Orchestral

Blade Runner-esque

Ambient Strut

Advertisement

I like all of them. They do fit the theme. I could imagine using such music for my own games.

Just a few points on the Blade Runner-esque. I am a big fan of the original motion picture soundtrack and I have heard it hundreds of times. So I am biased on what I am writing. The first 40 seconds do obviously quote Bladerunner, but to me it is too much in the foreground, I like it to be more subtle. The second part is solid, again maybe a bit too much in the foreground. I like the third part when it speeds up.

Thx for the feedback Azarias! 

If you ever need some music for your games, let me know. I put together a couple temp tracks for you.

Best,

JR

Very interesting ambient stuff. :)

I really like Electro-orchestral Trailer, maybe the most. I think my instinct, even for a background-ish, ambient track might be just to do even more creative experimenting even more with sounds you have. Like in Electro-orchestral trailer, introducing the choir and the strings at certain points were great and very appropriately understated, for evoking mood. I might consider tightening the dynamic range on that track, as that might make it more (appropriately) unobtrusive to a gaming experience.

Very nice. I can see this work complimenting the right kind of game nicely.

The Silver Surfer track is really cool! But one criticism of all of your tracks is a lack of predominant themes. While it is true that often you have to write music that acts as wallpaper in certain parts of a game, most devs will still want/need a main theme to really drive the game's story. This could be reused in various spots of the game's story. This is what I feel is lacking from your portfolio overall. 

You have some really cool ideas and your production's pretty good! I'd just work on crafting some really iconic themes that can hook your listeners and players. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks for the constructive feedback. nsmadsen: I see what you mean. I am hesitant to try themes because I always feel like I have to do something original sounding. When I do themes, I always sound like someone else. I loose my voice. I guess it's a matter of figuring out a way to develop leitmotifs in a new way. Kind of like what Zimmer did with the Joker theme in Dark Knight. The Joker theme is very simple: Slow rising cello glissandi layed with some FX. No melodie, no harmony. Just a sound color! That's my style. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement