🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Music for a fantasy film project

Started by
1 comment, last by Mulahey 7 years, 3 months ago

Hi there,

I spent the last days working on this little tune...

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=674265

...a somewhat rhythmically driven (almost march-like) medieval/fantasy theme soundtrack theme. It's build upon a (hopefully) heroic melody and is intended to accompany the travel montage of a fantasy epic (game/film). If you have some handy tips, especially concerning the mix, please do not hesitate to share your insights. :)

Best regards

Dustin

Advertisement

Sounds really good, I like especially the horns :)

Some points:

- Some of the instruments sound really dry. Try the same reverb for all instruments to glue them better to the same room.

- Your piece has potential to grow to a huge epic march towards the end. I would add more loud percussion and use the whole string section and actually the whole orchestra in the end. Maybe from the ascending line at 2:20 could be played by winds, strings and harp like John Williams would do and keep going with bigger orchestration. Sounds like the velocities on all instruments are just a bit too low. Now it sounds like the rhythm sections have to keep themselves down though they want to blast the piece out of hell. Of course I understand if this isn't your intention.

- Is the instrument at the beginning of the piece supposed to be a guitar or some keyboard instrument? It sounds fine but if the intention is to sound like a guitar it's a bit off. Needs more low middle in any case IMHO. And there's a small glitch at 0:29.

Just some small points to keep you busy ;)

Hey Kasu, thanks a lot for your very detailied feedback, you gave the cue a thorough listen. Really appreciate it! :) Indeed, you made some insightful points concerning the structure and instrumention of the coda. I certainly must rework this piece someday (particularly to apply some stronger midi modifiers for humazition effects and more overall reverb). On this occasion, there also will be also some major adjusments for the final build-up. An epic march feeling sounds great so me!

@0:29: The short c in the beginning of this bar (in the melodic line, the intended sound is a medieval zither by the way :D) is supposed to be somekind of variation of the main motif (minor third, major, second, perfect fith; all ascending) Maybe there should be some more accent on this particularly note.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement