🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Free good/easy to use music and/or sound software?

Started by
12 comments, last by Christopher Void 7 years, 5 months ago

I say and/or because I have heard some are good for one but not the other.

Advertisement

Need quite a bit more info to be able to answer this question.

Are you wanting to record live players and the edit that audio? Are you wanting to create music only with virtual instruments? Do you want an all-in-one kind of approach or do you have some 3rd party plugins that you are planning on using? What style(s) of music are you hoping to create? Is this writing to picture or just composing by itself? Do you want something that can also help you create quality manuscript for live players and/or publishing?

This is a very broad subject and your question doesn't really let us know your goals/needs.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I would want kind of an all one approach except i don't really plan on recording live players. My goal is making sound files for any games that i make and being able to make several kinds of music for different types of games and situation.

P.S. I dont mind downloading more than one program

Hi Christopher. There are two different ways I'd advise you to think about the audio creation process. One is having what you call a DAW (digital audio workstation) to cut, clip, trim, edit, process audio. Its basically an engine that edits and modifies sounds or groups of sounds. If you're looking to import any kind of audio and edit it, Garageband can get you started. Reaper is $60 and will let you do quite a bit more. Its also cross platform.

If you need something that actually generates loops of music in different textures, feels, and styles, you need a virtual instrument. And one that can generate music (which you then can tweak) with the push of a button. You may have to choose which VI to use based on the sound samples of each one. They're all pretty different. The key is to look for an onboard sequencer. This is a specific tool within a virtual instrument that will automatically generate loops of music based on templates. You do have the control to change most parameters within the pre-made templates though.

There isn't a program that will generate sound effects (that I know of). You basically download libraries and drop them into the DAW for editing.

This is my placeholder signature

Thanks for the input! I definitely virtual instrument and i will check out garageband and Reaper when i have money

i will check out garageband and Reaper when i have money

Garageband is free lol. And the sounds and instruments are $5 USD. That's probably enough to get you started. The VI's though....they're not cheap :(

Fruityloops. All youre gonna need. Can message me, got a team of my own, more music and sound effects than we could ever use... Audioman is 20+ years of experience, quite literitely watching him work as I type.

But if youre looking to do it on your own, I would recommend Fruityloops to start off. Msg me on audio if you want.

I would recommend Fruityloops to start off.

I forgot that DAW still exists. I can see where it would be helpful...not free though lol.

Yeah. Sorta.

Now we have over 30 grand in keys for software. Every program imagenable. Can show you.

I'll bite.

$30k? Just in audio plugins? What does a gaming sound guy spend $30k on? Do tell :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement