🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A software for composing/prototyping music

Started by
1 comment, last by DiegoFloor 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi all

I've been looking for a software to help me compose music. I don't want music production software, like most DAWs, nor sheet writing software. I want something focused on composition and there are a few out there, but they are so expensive! So I decided to start working on one. I came up with an idea that seems to fulfill my requisites and is easy enough that I can implement myself. I could really use some feedback though. I mean, it sounds great in my head but I get the feeling my head is not always on par with reality.

OK, so it works like this: you get a simple synthesizer to make sound and a simple sequencer. So far so good. Then there's this concept of layers. A layer is something that transforms your sequence of notes in some way, like shifting notes to snap into a scale, or creating notes to form chords, or whatever. These layers operate on the outcome of the previous layer (that's why I call them layers) so you can stack them, modify any layer and all following update. The main gimmick is that these layers are made by the user, so you can come up with your own rules and patterns and try them out quickly. I'm thinking of a visual programming style, where you connect nodes to create functions and define the functionality of the layer.

I tried asking for feedback on other communities but I got nothing. I guess people need more than just words, but it's gonna take a while to implement the layer system. If you want to play around with the prototype, you can get it here. But it's just a bare bones sequencer at the moment.

Advertisement

It does sound interesting, I think you need to get a good prototype of that layering system, it sounds cool but yeah I don't think words alone will do it justice. I'd love to try a prototype of that when it's up and running.

Yeah, I'm working on it. My biggest fear is that once everything is up and running there simply won't be any need to make new layers once we got a few basics working, which defeats the whole purpose of creating the system in the first place. But I'm probably being pessimistic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement