🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

WIP Warrior Monk - Looking for critiques please

Started by
3 comments, last by Sneaky_Seal 7 years, 8 months ago
Hey everyone,

I am hoping to get some critiques and feedback on this ZBrush sculpt. I am learning and teaching myself so this would be very helpful. This was meant to be a concept to show an indie dev who was looking for 3D artists (I think on-the-job experience would help me flourish)

Anyway, one of the things I am curious about is that this person told me he looked 'doughy' and undefined still? I'm not seeing what he is talking about and I wondered if this is because I am learning myself and just am not seeing it the same way.

Thanks everyone!
Nick
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7847]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7848]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7849]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7850]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7851]

Advertisement

He has a very stylized head :)

Exited to see him textured.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Hey, good start :D

Nevertheless, I wouldn't start with stylized art first. The issue with stylized art is, that theoretical you can do a smiley and call it stylized character. This will not help you learning to do character art at all. Best to target real human proportions first, then you have something you can compare to. Once you have a feeling about human proportions, you can exaggerate certain body parts to start stylizing your characters.

Additional to this, I would recommend to leave details out first. The proportions of a human and the overall setup is more important than some folds.

Eventually you should target a consistent level of detail, proportion, stylization etc. E.g. a detailed face and chunky hands are inconsistent. Sometimes it is better to reduce the level of detail in certain parts instead of trying to do the same level of detail for every other body part.

A rough guideline for a indie dev, who want to do the art alone without studying art first :

1. Learn proportions first (e.g. male human height = 8x head etc.).

2. Basic anatomy, which muscle are visible, how do they form the shape of an character .

3. Think twice about the level of detail, to do high detailed models right, you need to practise for years !

4. I do most of the art for my game alone (though with a friend helping out), so think economical, don't target a style which you could do , but which eats up too much time. The effort to add details to a model/texture/animation increases exponentially. So, is it really necessary to do a sculpt and a low-polymodel and a texture ? Wouldn't it be more economical to model a low-polymodel and texture it directly ?

But you are on the right track, it just needs some more practise and you will do model in better quality much faster, keep it up :D

Anyway, one of the things I am curious about is that this person told me he looked 'doughy' and undefined still?

What is meant is that it looks like you went from shaping to detail too fast. Your model is blob-ish with details added. This isn't much of a problem as you will learn to progress gradually as you work, you just need to practice.

It's like the back of the monk's hand it looks like you took the glove and blew air into it.

First what I like about the model:

Constant style.

Clear presentation, a eye is eye and the mouth looks like a mouth; it looks like a character.

What you need to work on:

Shape and form, all objects even people can be broken into shapes and forms. For example a eye is a sphere and a human chest isn't a large bloby cube with nipples. To practice shape and form make the chest look like a chest with out adding the rest of the body or nipples.

Now the most important thing I noticed is that you are working in 2D and not 3D. The clavicle is a clear example, it looks good from the front then when the model is shown from a angle it's clearly wrong.

bqaixhF.png

A other example is your T-pose, it's very flat. Humans even with their arms outstretched isn't that flat. The feet points out to much and if you attempted the same pose as the character you would fall backwards. Of course you can fix the pose when rigging, however it's making it harder on you to sculpt the model.

Hope this helps, keep us updated with progress.

Did you use Sculptris or some another program?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling aimed at risks that TRUELY affect the gameplay and an extensive online PvP mode! GameDev.net - forum thread

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement