🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Passing "this" As Argument ?&in

Started by
11 comments, last by WitchLord 7 years, 11 months ago

Allright, I did some more test and I'm not sure I understand handles properly.

Lets assume code:

class Foo{ int a = 0; }

Foo foo();:

then:

1. Foo@ h = @foo -> it creates a handle that points to "foo" instance, so it also increases refcount, right? But what is the refcount now? Is there a way to check refcount of asIScriptObject for debugging purposes?

2. h.method() will execute method on object "foo", but what about @h.method() ? Both seem to work, but is it allright?

3. @h = foo or @h = @foo ? Documentation uses second with @ prefixing the object instance, but both seem to compile and work?

4. When accessing object's properties through handle, again - @h.prop or h.prop?

I'm a bit confused by this notation and I'm not sure when the handle is really a handle, when object is really an object and what happens when I add/skip @ prefix.

This leads me to a weird problem with my function that takes "?&in" generic parameters. When I pass a handle to it like this:

Foo @h = foo;

my_func(h); // assuming my_func(?&in) on C++ side

it tries to create a temporary copy of object Foo, instead of passing a "handle" type to the call. Which completly undermines what I understand about how to refer to a handle and how it works. If "h" is not a handle but the object, then why I can pass it like the above example to any script function for example:

Foo @h = foo;

my_script_func(h); // with my_script_func(Foo@)

When I changed my_func(h) to my_func(@h) it seems to work, but then I have no idea what is really passed there. Isn't @h a handle of a handle, since h is a handle, not an object? And when really passing handle, why does it think it's actually an object Foo, not a Foo@ handle and tries to copy the object, not the handle?

PS. I'm starting to think that h doesn't really refer to a handle, but the object, unless I prefix it with @h which then means the "handle to object"? So even though I declare it Foo @h, but then use it as just "h" I'm really refering to the object itself? So handle is handle only when @h is used, and that's why it complains when I pass just "h" to a function, because it's basically the same as passing "foo" object? Is this correct? And if so, what does @h.a mean when I access property. Shouldn't this throw some error that I'm accessing a handle, and force me to use h.a syntax?

Where are we and when are we and who are we?
How many people in how many places at how many times?
Advertisement

1. yes. h will hold a reference to foo, and thus increase the ref count. You can inspect the value of the ref count by calling AddRef() and then Release(). Both methods return the refcount.

2. @h.method() would mean "call method() on the object referred to by h, and then take the address of the returned type". I should probably add a warning, if the @ symbol is used in cases like this.

3. If the left hand expression has the @, then the compiler already knows that the right hand expression also must be operating on the address, so it implicitly adds the @ if it is not there.

4. Same thing as 2

5. Think of the @ operator as "work on the address of the object". When not using the @ operator you will be working with the actual object, not it's address. That's why when calling my_func(h) makes a copy of the object to pass into the function (since the argument is &in), but my_func(@h) passes in the address of the object.

You can also think of the @ symbol as being closer to C++ & symbol, except a variable declared as & cannot be reassigned after initialization.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

The weakref type currently doesn't have a copy constructor or assignment operator. That's why it doesn't allow you to pass this type by value. I'll have this implemented.

I've implemented this in revision 2340.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement