🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A World of Pixels (New piece - ambient electronic)

Started by
5 comments, last by nsmadsen 8 years ago

Here's an ambient, peaceful, electronic track that I wrote recently for fun. It's available for licensing currently. One thing I really enjoy about this piece is how the melody evolves each time it's stated. It's never repeated the same way. Either a new instrument joins in, new chords support it or the melody notes themselves change. I like using the visuals of pixels in the title because they can be both harsh, jagged and beautiful and smooth. Using low-fi, chip-tune like sounds is a challenge as they can be really harsh around the edges. But when produced differently, they can be quite beautiful and smooth.

I hope you enjoy the song! And feedback is appreciated, like always!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Warm and mesmerizing! It's a nice blend between low-fi sounds, complex soundscapes and more realistic things like marimba and drums, nicely balanced. Very enjoyable :) The sounds and the progressive nature of the piece bring to mind a journey through some sort of hidden cavern filled with all kinds of strange and wonderful nature. Some constructive feedback: I've got a feeling there's a slight slant towards the left end of the spectrum due to distribution of the bass frequencies. When I listen to it in mono on my headphones, the warmth of the bass makes a noticeable shift to the center. Maybe I'm just a nitpicker for bass-positioning :P but I thought I'd mention it nevertheless.
You know, I think, somewhere in the back of my head, the marimba + delay + sparkley lead sounds remind me of the Donkey Kong OST. Not entirely sure why, but it has that kind of feel. Lovely stuff!

It's very soothing to say the least. Some of the lead instruments still sound a bit harsh (like the marimba or whatever it is around 1:05), but I don't think that's too bad. Nice work.

Thanks guys!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Cool

Truly amazing! It's super chilly and calming and I like it. Also the bass is mixed so super well. Good job on this! ^^

Thank you very much! :)

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement