🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Reducing the number of octaves in a song

Started by
12 comments, last by SillyCow 8 years, 7 months ago

if (NotePitch > MAXGLOCKPITCH) { // are we out of range, too high?

etc... etc...

}

I implemented several steps.

1. I try several transposes for the song. For each time I miss a note I reduce the score of that transpose by: LOG( number_of_times_I_missed_this_Note ).

1a. The LOG ensures that I don't give too much weight to a single repetitive note that's being missed.

2. I transpose the entire piece by the transpose with the best score.

3. For every not that's not in the range, I add or reduce octaves until it fits (as suggested above).

The result sounds a bit off-pitch, but it's still pretty good: result

What do you think?

Other pieces sound much better. I purposefully chose the good old "T&F" because it spans a bunch of octaves, and I wanted to push the algorithm to the limit. I think it did pretty well.

I'll upload a recording from my glockenspiel soon. (Need to re-glue some mechanical parts again :-( )

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Advertisement

I managed to record the new configuration with many notes playing at once.

However... I then misconnected some electrical components, and burnt them out.

That's the shame with H/W vs S/W. There is not CTRL-Z or SVN-Revert.

I now have to wait 4 weeks for the new parts to arrive from China :-(

Also, the solenoids are going too fast for the camera. Each solenoid strikes for 5ms. You need a 200fps camera to catch that...

Hi,

this robotic glockenspiel is simply amazing. I believe you've already received useful tips on how to get things transposed, very cool. Nevertheless things may vary from song to song, perhaps most of the "musical choices" one should do in order to achieve a pleasant rendition might be transformed into automation and programmed, i am a musician so i can't advice you on that.

A human being could take into account many aspects at the same time: change the scale if needed, ignore some voices in a poliphonic song etc....

I can do the transcriptions, if you wish. Could we please talk by private message?

Cheers

Edit: P.S.

Regardless to your will to contact me, i wish to expand on the importance of adapting the scale, this might be useful anyway... let's say your song is in A minor and you feel the bass line playing a F, then G, then A....your glock's lower note is C and you will perform the bass melody too close to the second octave.... transposing everything to E minor could do the job.

A human being could take into account many aspects at the same time: change the scale if needed, ignore some voices in a poliphonic song etc....

Edit: P.S.

Regardless to your will to contact me, i wish to expand on the importance of adapting the scale, this might be useful anyway... let's say your song is in A minor and you feel the bass line playing a F, then G, then A....your glock's lower note is C and you will perform the bass melody too close to the second octave.... transposing everything to E minor could do the job.

I tried reading a little bit about scales on Wiki. Went way over my head. (I have no musical background).

Is there a difference between "adapting the scale" and transposing, or is it just another type of transpose?

Also, I sent you a private message, regarding the other stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement