🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How Do I Become A Video Game Composer?

Started by
15 comments, last by musically passionate 8 years, 9 months ago

This is becoming more insightful, thank you. I will pick up those books and read them. In the past, I have taken a course or two on the basics of music business, they did not cover gaming music very much. Is it similar? All of this advice has been very inspirational and I think I have a lead on where I can begin next. So, Nate, would you say it would be a good idea to try to get in at a small phone app gaming company first? Is that what you meant? Because I hadn't even thought of that option. It seems more realistic than my other endeavors. And by the way, I did apply at Blizzard and Obsidian, lol. Thank you.

Advertisement

Check out the following fantastic game soundtracks:
Bastion OST

I second the thumbs-up for Bastion's music.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

i listened to the whole Bastion soundtrack. It was very intricate and very tasteful; the Ori and the Blind Forest soundtrack was very tastefully done as well. Are there any other books anyone can suggest?

And remember the only thing that matters is how good your audio sounds!

I'm going to disagree with my esteemed colleague, from Austin (recently transplanted from colorado..)

That's actually only one of a number of things that matter.

Among the others

1) Being able to deliver to spec, on time

2) Being easy and a pleasure to work with

3) underpromising and overdelivering

4) Getting yourself out there enough so that people will know you

5) being able to take criticism and not take it personally

6) understanding that your role first and foremost is to make the game more fun to play (not necessarily showcase your music).

and several others :)

You mentioned not being able to find a lot of info on the "game music business.".

Check out last year's Game Audio Industry survey.

Also, coincidentally, I'm doing a live guest appearance on a "For Film Composers Only" webinar to talk about music for games; when I did this about a year ago, most of the questions were business questions.

Its this coming Friday, July 31, at noon PST.

You don't say what city/country you're located in, but try to find local (or online) indie game dev communities; search out "game jams".

Brian

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

I'm going to disagree with my esteemed colleague, from Austin (recently transplanted from colorado..)

That's actually only one of a number of things that matter.

Very true, but I think Mr. Madsen meant that to refer to the tools you're using goes. As in it doesn't matter if you're using a $1000 rig or a $10,000 rig, all that matters is that it sounds good.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. Delivering audio on target and on schedule is absolutely critical! But that actual sentence was the help the OP (and other readers) realize (or reaffirm) that great audio can be made with a number of different set ups. Thanks for pointing that out - really good stuff here for folks to chew on.

Excellent discussion!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This is the best example of my voice acting and writing. No one will take me on so i wrote hunted.

https://soundcloud.com/misfiteyes/sets/camp-fire-stories

As well a cartoon i made my self

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement