🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Week of Awesome III - The third annual unofficial gamedev.net competition! - Administration thread

Started by
232 comments, last by Eck 8 years, 10 months ago

Aww, has it really been a year since the last one? :P

I'll join again! I do have a team but I'll have to wait for them to get back to me.

And we'll be fresh out another jam come this one... But, dat prize pool. ;)

I'll enter even if they don't though.

Team: JamCats

Members: JackOatley, +others

Advertisement

Slicer, I have a have a few questions to get a better handle on the new sponsors splash screen requirement if you don't mind...

Many games in past years (mine included) commit to a window resolution well before the end of the competition. I'm wondering whether the resolution of the splash screen image be defined before the competition starts? If not, will it be ok to shrink the image to fit the window, or scroll (like credits) the image if it turns out to be larger than the viewport?

I'm also curious about other technical aspects of this splashscreen which might be good to know for other contestants too. Such as: aspect ratio (or landscape vs portrait vs square), image formats (jpg/png/etc), background colour (transparent? white? black?).

How strict/loose is the requirement that it be displayed at the "start" of the game? For example, if the game has an initial startscreen with a PLAY option - should the splashscreen have appeared before reaching the startscreen or could it first appear after clicking PLAY? What if it only appeared as a credit at the end of the game instead? What if the image only shows if the users selects a SPONSORS option from the startscreen?

Oh, also, could you add me to the list of participants pretty please? smile.png (See my previous post).

@slicer4ever

Hi. Just to update, I've joined team Ovensparrow. happy.png

Aww, has it really been a year since the last one? tongue.png

I'll join again! I do have a team but I'll have to wait for them to get back to me.
And we'll be fresh out another jam come this one... But, dat prize pool. ;)
I'll enter even if they don't though.

Team: JamCats
Members: JackOatley, +others

you guys did pretty solid last year, can't wait to see what comes from this year=-)

Slicer, I have a have a few questions to get a better handle on the new sponsors splash screen requirement if you don't mind...

Many games in past years (mine included) commit to a window resolution well before the end of the competition. I'm wondering whether the resolution of the splash screen image be defined before the competition starts? If not, will it be ok to shrink the image to fit the window, or scroll (like credits) the image if it turns out to be larger than the viewport?

the splashscreen is currently going to be 1280x720, expanding or shrinking to meet your resolution is perfectly fine. The splash screen may get bumped upto 1920x1080 depending on how many sponsors we may get in the coming weeks.

I'm also curious about other technical aspects of this splashscreen which might be good to know for other contestants too. Such as: aspect ratio (or landscape vs portrait vs square), image formats (jpg/png/etc), background colour (transparent? white? black?).

I'll have a basic splash screen up tomorrow night, right now it will be black, the distributed format will be png, but you are free to convert it to any format that you wish.

How strict/loose is the requirement that it be displayed at the "start" of the game? For example, if the game has an initial startscreen with a PLAY option - should the splashscreen have appeared before reaching the startscreen or could it first appear after clicking PLAY? What if it only appeared as a credit at the end of the game instead? What if the image only shows if the users selects a SPONSORS option from the startscreen?

the splash screen must appear before you reach the main menu(it may be after other splash screen(such as team name, unity/UE splash's, etc)), but it cannot be hidden in a submenu, or post-credits screen.

Oh, also, could you add me to the list of participants pretty please? smile.png (See my previous post).

I swore i added you the other day, but i must have gotten distracted before i submitted the changes, thinks for reminding me!

@slicer4ever

updated, and good to hear=-)
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

PM me for pesos please.

Cant believe its been a year already...
Its so good to see this again!
I might be competing aswell, I'm in the army this time... But might be able to compete, good luck to everybody!

Btw is XNA still on the table?

@slicer4ever

@slicer4ever could you please replace member ovensparrow with Onigiri Flash. So that way it is

Team: The Ovensparrow

Members: Marioluigiman, Onigiri Flash

Thanks in advance

Signup interest, checking in.

Team: Moonshot Software

Members: just Wyrframe at present

(no website/blog)

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

Sign me up!

Team: Oddfellow Games

Members: WASDMagician

Team: SmokeyBacon
Members: Elit3d
Website/Blog/Twitter handle: http://www.kyle-thomas.com | http://blog.kyle-thomas.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement